Grandview & Western R.R. Engine Roster

lpd4005

These snaps are for Jerome a.k.a. Wheeler1963. All but the UP engine are 1980's vintage Athearn blue box HO gauge Engines, the slug I'm not sure what it is other than a switcher slug, someone gave to me for free back in the 90's in ole San Antonio, its a un-powered unit. It, as well as the SW-7( I think it is SW7) and the SD-40 Conrail are my attempt to paint while the GP38 is out of the box with a little weathering attempt in my part about 10 or so years ago.

I have noticed that all of my old engines in comparison to the new DCCInstalled U.P. SD45, run rough and are noisy even afte cleaning the wheels, lubing the gear boxes and hitting the motor brushes with grease less contact cleaner (used i ham radios), I lost a motor brush for the SW-7 while attempting to install the DH163AT digitrax decoders, other than that all have been converted from DC to DCC, the UP came set with a DH123 digitrax decoder if i recall...

I also don't have the detail parts for any of them but i figure they run and there can be worse to start a roster with lolol anyways enjoy Jerome and all who visit!

th_Picture007.png

th_Picture012.png

th_Picture013.png

th_Picture014.png

th_Picture015.png

th_Picture016.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Robert, we all have to start somewhere and you now have a start. :) The old Athearn BB's are way noisier and rougher than modern engines. The one thing to check is that the gears mesh properly and don't have any flash. That's where a lot of noise comes from.

Robert, we all have to start somewhere and you now have a start. :) The old Athearn BB's are way noisier and rougher than modern engines. The one thing to check is that the gears mesh properly and don't have any flash. That's where a lot of noise comes from.

Careful work with a fine set of files can get rid of the burrs, as well as a work out with some lapping compound on the gears. I also would check for back and forth "sloppiness" at the worms, and in the motor. Judicious installation of some thrush washers would always improve the noise as well.

Back