Grade crossing with a difference

scroggin

here are a couple photos of a new zealand j-class locomotive crossing the runway at gisborne airport

Last edited by a moderator:
This is pretty sweet! It combines my 2 favorite hobbies. I would love to fly into that airport, but I dont think the single engine Diamond I fly could make it across the sea lol

This is pretty sweet! It combines my 2 favorite hobbies. I would love to fly into that airport, but I dont think the single engine Diamond I fly could make it across the sea lol

Those photos are about 3 years old. That section of line hasnt been used for about a year the track was washed out further south during heavy rain and it wasnt a very economical line so they havent reopened it , they might never do so. But the rails are still in place I were flying a wee cessna out of there 2 weeks ago. The A.I.P. chart still has all the instructions for using the runway. There are lights to indicate when the runway extention is closed for trains and "FLYING LOW OVER OR IN FRONT OF TRAINS IS PROHIBITED"

Last edited by a moderator:
Those photos are about 3 years old. That section of line hasnt been used for about a year the track was washed out further south during heavy rain and it wasnt a very economical line so they havent reopened it , they might never do so. But the rails are still in place I were flying a wee cessna out of there 2 weeks ago. The A.I.P. chart still has all the instructions for using the runway. There are lights to indicate when the runway extention is closed for trains and "FLYING LOW OVER OR IN FRONT OF TRAINS IS PROHIBITED"

Yeah train vs plane would definitely be something that I would want to avoid. It sort of reminds me of this video, while not as extreme as a train it still sends a message to pilots to be alert at all times. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz67sRdCUo0

Some small airports, (1 here, I've heard of others, and I've seen film of a least one USAF base with this set up), have a regular traffic lights on the roads that cross near/on runways. Its controlled by the air traffic controller at the scene, or by the airport personnel. When a plane is on approach, a switch is thrown, and the light turns red, stopping traffic. It doesn't change back to green until the plane has landed.

Some small airports, (1 here, I've heard of others, and I've seen film of a least one USAF base with this set up), have a regular traffic lights on the roads that cross near/on runways. Its controlled by the air traffic controller at the scene, or by the airport personnel. When a plane is on approach, a switch is thrown, and the light turns red, stopping traffic. It doesn't change back to green until the plane has landed.

That is the way it should be done. The runway in the video I think was private owned and it just had a painted "stop" on the road that crossed it. There is one runway, I forget where, on the top 10 most extreme airports that actually has a small highway running through it lol

I saw a film of those on History Channel or NatGeo, a year or so ago, and I believe it was the Philippines or Japan. Not only did it have the highway, but people also crossed it on foot!

1. What type of engine is that in the photos? It looks really sweeeeet!

2. Down at Georgetown, DE there used to be a rail that went down (or across I don't remember) the runway, but it was used for testing ejection seats. That must've been an interesting NOTAM.

1. What type of engine is that in the photos? It looks really sweeeeet!

2. Down at Georgetown, DE there used to be a rail that went down (or across I don't remember) the runway, but it was used for testing ejection seats. That must've been an interesting NOTAM.

Yes it looks just like the baby brother of the N.+W. J-Class only 4-8-2. I
love the look too. Its a New Zealand J-Class, they were designed to have
reasonable speed and pulling power but with a light axle loading of only 11.25 tons so they could operate on areas of lighter rail. They were Built in 1939 at the North British locomotive works in Glasgow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NZR_J_class_(1939)
http://www.trainweb.org/nzsteam/j_4-8-2.html

Many of our steam engines were built in Britain or the USA , but usually to
our own design because the requirements of our 3'6" gauge, tight curves and narrow clearances.

Back