GP9 and GP18 in N?

pedrop

A Railfan in Brazil
Hi Guys,

I´d like to know if is it possible to find GP9 and GP18in N scale. I´d like to have one or two of them. Who produces them?

Pedro:)

ATLAS does the GP7 & 9.Lifelike/Walthers does the GP18 & 20.All of them are excellent running locomotives.

There are two different versions of the GP18,while both are good runners and pullers the early version is plastic framed and does not have flywheels.The easiest way to tell them apart is the early version has open pilots and truck mounted rapidos (unless they have been converted with the MTL kit).

Actually, there are 3 versions of the Lifelike/walthers GP18. There were 2 versions of the older plastic framed model....one in high nose and one in low nose. They run well, even at low speed, but they have no flywheels, headlight in the cab end only, and the open pilots require a conversion kit to install MT couplers. I've purchased a number of the low nosed versions to make "chop nose" GP9's . You can purchase GP9 shells from Atlas cheap, chop the high nose off the shell and mount the long hood onto the Lifelike chassis with almost no modifications. I model Montana Rail Link and all their GP9s have been chopped, so this is handy for me. The new version of the GP18 (Proto) is much nicer....dual flywheels, LED lights, split frame, pilot mount couplers. The chassis is also "chop nose" friendly.....all you need to do is shorten the leads on the front LED. You can still find the older versions for sale new but they're getting scarcer unless you shop the auction sites. The new Proto versions are what you find on the shelves.

Back