GP40X needs TLC

riss2509

engco18
I picked up an Athearn RTR BNSF GP40X #3035 off of ebay about 1 month go. It had some minor issues with it such as loose fuel tank, and a couple of the sideframes need replacement. But, not described was a small dent, looks like from heat, about the width of a BIC pen to the engineers side walkway on the side and the top middle of the engine. Any ideas on repairing? Id hate to get rid of it cause I got it so cheap, and the motor and frame is good. I thought about tapping Athearn if they had any new bodies and been looking around on ebay for bodies for it. Any help would be appreciated!!

I don't think you're going to be able to repair a defect that big and have it look any good. Have you contacted Athearn and hit them up for a warrranty repair first? Sounds like this could be a manufacturing defect. If they won't go for the warranty repair, I'm pretty sure you can get a new shell but getting it in the BNSF roadname and number may be an issue.

Thanks!

Just been in contact with Athearn, we will see what happens! It's irritating, but what can ya do?! At least I got extra parts and a good frame!

Riss, I will check in the A.M. I may have one more undec from RAIL POWER PRODUCTS left over,I sell alot of them but most go overseas:D

WOW, I didnt even know this thread was still around LOL!!! Long story short, I was able to sell the unit on ebay last spring. I did get a new BNSF 1 in trade, but since im changing themes and going freelance, im actually trying to dump a bunch of BNSF units ive done, and keeping just a select few. Thanks for the reply though!!!!!:cool:

Back