GP40-2 Project

No problem. I have done a ton of NS, N&W and Southern diesels in the past, so I have plenty of C&Co. parts on hand. No brake levers (actually, I wish I could buy those separately), but plenty of brakewheels and other parts.

Update 06.24.06

I'm really crawling on this now, with summer here I'm spending a lot more time outdoors, which is good I guess except for the lack of model railroading time... and the mosquito's. I did take a big plunge though in grinding the frame, I was going to post a schematic and ask for some more input, but then I got a day when both the tenant below me and my landlord were gone so there was no one to annoy with the dremel-cutting-through-metal noises, and I just took the plunge. It worked out pretty well, though I still have a good deal of filing to do. Luckily, I went to the hardware store and picked up a gouple of super heavy duty files which are making quick work of the job. Here's a pic of what I've go so far. I'm going to simulate I-beams by gluing some styrene shapes along the frame.

progress5.jpg

I'm still waiting on the next order of parts. I got my cab kit (thanks again Josh) and have been trying to figure out how to integrate it into the cab while still having the front truck powered. Since I'm also planning on lowering the unit so it has a more prototypical stance, I think I'm going to need to cut some of the cab interior floor to fit. I'll lose some detail, but with strategic positioning of the Preiser figures I ordered I should be able to hide the holes. I could leave the front truck unpowered, but since this locomotive will probably operate alone on the layout I'm planning, I'd rather not cripple it any.

Once these new parts come in I should be able to finish up the last of the cutting and grinding, then it's on to the fun part!

You're welcome... Can't wait to see it with the chassis mod, more then I'd every do, most of the underframe I avoid to add some reliability, I don't have room for "minor" derailments. With the size & length of the trackage, and grades, I need them to be smooth! I havn't even used the traction motor cables yet!

Update 07.27.06

Finally... here's an update on my progress... haven't had time (or willpower) to do much in the last month due to a trip to New York and the generally nice weather that tends to draw me outdoors.

Here's the P40 or P42... not sure which... that pulled my train to NYC:
progress6.jpg

But I did build my C&C cab kit, and figured out the switcher step issue that has been bothering me since the very beginning of this project, so that's a good thing.

Here's the link... same as always: http://people.umass.edu/cslemp/

I updated the website again. The dynamic brake hatch is complete... or at least the hard part of it is. I also added the walkway tread, and got soem new parts.

progress9.jpg

Right now I'm just waiting for my new job to start so that I can buy the rest of what I need.

The web address is still:

http://people.umass.edu/cslemp/

Well, I've updated the website for this project. It's been just about a year now since I started.

I have, or have ordered, most of the parts I need, so I think I'll still be able to finish it by the time painting season rolls around, as long as I don't get too distracted by the halfway decent weather we've been having.

Here's a progress pic:
10frame_shell.jpg

It shows the frame and shell attached with a fairly decent view of the styrene frame rails. White styrene doesn't seem to photograph well, but you get the idea.

I also "lowered" the trucks to give the locomotive a more prototypical stance I did this by drilling out the rivet that holds the truck bolster mount in place, filing out some of the plastic gear housing, and pressing the mount a little farther down into the truck. After soldering it back together, the whole thing is about .010" lower, which will be offset slightly by the P:87 Stores Smoooth Riders that help the trucks to track correctly.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting this thing finished. I have a B40-8, a PS-1 Boxcar an F7A and an F59PHI lined up for my next projects.

So, what's the story with the cab and the front truck being powered? I assume that you wish to have a full floor in this thing, but don't want to sacrifice pulling power. I have dealt with the same issue and I just modified the front truck to be unpowered, reasoning that the unit would operate with others. What solution did you come up with?

Other than that, I have to say 'great job.' I realize you're getting near the end, but have you checked out Railflyer's website? It could be dangerous for you to go there, since you will be broke afterward, but this project definitely fits the type of modeler these guys cater to.

Back