gp 40-2 which brand

Ryan Kieser

Hi guys, as a complete newbie, I need some guidance.

I need to make my first loco purchase, and have been looking at Kato and Atlas, think I have settled on the Atlas GP 40-2, the Master Line Gold Series. Wanted some guidance on whether or not this was a good choice in terms of quality and reliability.

Thanks
Ryan

Super choice on the Atlas Gp40-2 , these have been the most dependable on the layout. The recent run of the GP40-2 phaseII with QSI are really nice (WP) . The Atlas GP40's have been bullet proof very easy to work on. If you want to add sound to the older red box GP40 (soundtraxx & railmaster? ) could not be any easier. Adding sound to the Gold line now with QSI . Good luck with the gold line indeed a relieable and quality choice,

Atlas

I should also add that Kato`s are real easy to upgrade to sound decoders . 8 pin plug socket or swap factory installed light board for decoder . They are the Best .

Thanks guys, appreciate the input, going to order the Atlas this weekend, cannot wait to get it, my first loco, will post a photo.

Cheers
Ryan

I have the Atlas GP 40 with the QSI Sound in it from the factory. I did have a problem with mine. The sound quit working in it. I sent it in with my receipt. They fixed it no questions asked, and sent it back. Good as new. Something to be said for great and easy repair service. You will love the QSI. I have mine programmed to blow a grade crossing horn with the touch of one button.
Alan

I need to make my first loco purchase, and have been looking at Kato and Atlas, think I have settled on the Atlas GP 40-2, the Master Line Gold Series. Wanted some guidance on whether or not this was a good choice in terms of quality and reliability.
In my opinion The Atlas Master Gold are the best mass produced units on the market today. That is a good choice.

KATO doesn't make a GP40-2, if the question is which brand. In HO the choice for GP40-2 is Atlas and Athearn. Atlas has always been superior to Athearn, but thats not to say that Athearn isn't good. Basically the Atlas is going to cost you more, but they are a nicer loco. Athearn makes an RTR GP40-2 also, but they are not DCC ready, but they cost almost half the price too. I've got both Atlas and Athearn GP40-2's, but the Athearn will take more work to be ready for prime time.

As far as the sound goes, most of the comments I've read is that the QSI sound is not as good as Tsunami, that is almost universal. So if you are very picky about sound, get a non-sound Atlas and add the Tsunami.

Hi, as an update, my Atlas GP 40-2, CSX came in yesterday, it looks fantastic, now just waiting for my DCC setup. Bought all my track and pre-cut lumber is coming in this morning, taken some leave to start on the benchwork.

Cheers
Ryan

Gratz on the purchase. Atlas are widely recognized as one of the top, if not the top producer of HO diesels and issues are very rare. If you got the non-sound version, a plug and play decoder should drop right in - of course the sound versions have dcc out of the box.

BTW, here is a youtube video of two Atlas GP40-2's pulling a TOFC train - the two diesels match two of the 6 I own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTYQ6IEknBA

Back