Got started again, for the 3rd time. Need some feedback

Marlin39

Each time I've started and finished/torn down a layout I learn something important. The most important lesson so far is, "a man needs to know his limitations."😉 Big ain't always the way to go.

I have the 3rd round of benchwork finished. I took my time and planned it as modular construction this time. I have 12'x2' ready to start putting templates down.

Here's where I'm stuck. I have plenty of HO stuff and I also have a fair amount of On30. I know in my current space I could either have a decent amount of HO operation or a several industry 0n30 switching layout.

HO has a lot of pros, but for the size with my aging eyes. On30 is easier on the eyes, but there isn't a lot of inexpensive structure kits and the benchwork size has its limits.

I know if I get bored I can put either on the track and play around.

I'm open to suggestions or feedback.

"Rail, rail against the dying of the light!"

I explained a few weeks ago why we don't see so well as we age. The answer is....LIGHT. We don't get enough of it into our aging eyes with their smaller pupils. When we were young, our pupils were more elastic and opened wider to let light in when the light was poor. We don't do that well enough any more. So, we need stronger light. Get more light onto your subject. Use tripod mounted LED lights or panels to get more light illuminating the sides of your HO scale items. Also, use an Optivisor with at least 2.5X magnification for doing work on them, including assembly and placement.

Your dexterity also suffers with age, and not much can be done about that. The larger scales do help that way.

My advice: struggle mightily in HO until you simply cannot any longer and still have fun. Enjoy it while you can wring something useful out of it, and then switch to On30. Just do, NOW, consider the larger gauge loading and leave wider clearances for when you eventually switch to On30. Also, make sure your structures can be lifted and replaced with the proper scale items here and there.

Last edited:

Back