Got my new DCC system today (finally!!!)

So I'm excited. I bought the Bachmann EZ-Command system w/ USRA 0-6-0 locomotive today. Got it for $75 NIB from my LHS then went to another shop and bought a digitrax decoder and performed my first dcc install!! Dude everything has worked out great so far. BTW installed the decoder in a Walther's trainline GP9m. I now have two 0-6-0s (one pennsy, one unlettered) and the GP that are DCC. Planning on installing more decoders next week in my two bachmann plus f units. Sorry I'm just SOOOO excited right now!!!

Ahhh he see's the light! Congrats on the new system.

Are you gonna get any sound units? I must have sound, in fact, I don't own any locomotives without sound.

It's funny you mention that.. I was literally standing in the shower a few minutes ago saying to myself "I think I'm going to get a Spectrum K4 and put a sound decoder in it" so yeah I want to have a few locos with sound but I don't think im gonna put it in all. It's expensive for sound and it doesn't mean that much to me. I am also thinking that eventually I will upgrade from the Bachmann EZ-Command but it is great with my current small layout!

Welcome to the world of running your trains and not your track (DCC). ;)

Also, welcome to the accumulation phase of the hobby...:D

Brad

It's funny you mention that.. I was literally standing in the shower a few minutes ago saying to myself "I think I'm going to get a Spectrum K4 and put a sound decoder in it" so yeah I want to have a few locos with sound but I don't think im gonna put it in all. It's expensive for sound and it doesn't mean that much to me. I am also thinking that eventually I will upgrade from the Bachmann EZ-Command but it is great with my current small layout!

For now, maybe look at the Broadway K4 with sound already installed. While more expensive, you can use it asa benchmark, and guide to future sound installs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PazHusczgDk

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I agree with bnsf, get the one with sound factory installed. Installing sound in a locomotive is not an easy task if you haven't done it before. It is nothing like installing the non-sound decoder, which is very easy.

be warned the Bachmann (AKA Botchmann) EZ command is a very basic controller and may not last as long as a high end (more money) DCC command station like the Digitrax Zephyer or NCE powercab systems...other then that welcome to the wonderful world of DCC :D

yeah i knew that the bachmann system was pretty low end but for $75 bucks for the system and a locomotive I couldn't pass it up... I did look at the broadway k4s but i already have a spectrum k4 that has to go back for repair so i am hoping that they send me the dcc ready version when they send it back to me :D

Back