Good ballast to match Kato unitrack?

dgrafix

Unfortunately it is hugely expensive to import the real Kato ballast, the track I can get hold of no problem but not the ballast. Woodland scenics and noch I can get much cheaper. Does anyone know which product ID from one of these match the roadbed best? It's hard to tell from online photos.

Last edited:
Are you sure about the prices? And are the cheaper products the same size/weight? I found several packages of W-S grey ballast for less money, but the bags weigh about a quarter what the Kato ballast weighs.

Yes I can't find anyone in Sweden or EU selling the Kato stuff. To import it from outside the EU is fine except it takes longer to get though customs and I have to pay 25% tax. I can buy (edit: it says 1000ml so much heavier that a kilo) something that looks similar
0.2 - 0.6mm for N/TT at about 20 euros + postage. The noch and woodland scenics stuff I can get from Germany for 18%tax about same price, but much cheaper postage also meaning it will arrive in days not weeks. So was wondering if anyone knows a good alternative from them (product code).

Last edited:
I just found this but again hard to tell colour from the picture. It says it's for N scale and looks like it's in the ballpark (0.2-0.6mm)
99 kronor is roughly about 8-10 dollars? For half a liter of the stuff so with a fluid conversion for granite I am guessing with the air gaps it would still be heavier than water so maybe 700-1000g of the stuff?
This company do Kato stuff but the prices are laughable normally, but it seems they do aggregates cheaper than the local pet shop 😕

Last edited:

Back