Glue for scratch building

s340tn1

Terry
I am finishing up my first wood scratch mine building and I am pretty happy with it, but... I would like to know what glue you all are using for wood. Elmers takes too long to dry, so I used a hot glue gun. It works pretty good and is very strong but for me it is a little hard to work with with small lumber cuts. Plus you spend a lot of time cutting excess glue. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Terry

My wife laughed so hard at this i have to thank you. I make her pull off the dingles.

I am sure you will get good advice that i will be learning from as well. so far tho i have done it just like you.

My advice - You'll get better with the glue gun with time. elmers glue is only good if you have clamps and time.

A thick gap filling CA should work. The thinner stuff may just soak into the wood. Just a suggestion, as I havn't built a wood anything since I was a kid using match sticks.

Wood, glue? Use Testors Wood & Metal Parts cement, it works like a dream on wood & metal.

I typically used wood glue so as to force me to go slow but I too have also used gel style CA with good instant results. Make sure it is fresh glue though.
Doc

Either Elmer's Carpenter's Glue, which does require clamps and patience, or something like Zap, gap filling CA like Fred mentioned. The upside to Elmer's is that you can repostion parts until they are right. With Zap, the downside is you'd better get it right the first time you join the parts because there's no chance to move them around a bit f the fit isn't quite perfect. You can buy a deaccelerator for Zap that gives you a minute or so before it sets so you can move things a bit.

What I don't like about Zap or other CA type adhesives and wood is that it's very stiff when it dries. Elmer's is slightly flexible so you don't end up breaking off as many small parts when you handle the model.

I've used Elmer's Carpenter's Glue when building loading docks out of wood. It does require some clamping and wait time, though. For small clamps, you can use small cloths pins. I try to do several different wood projects at a time so that the first batch is dry by the time I get through with the last batch. I'm usually not in a big hurry.

I've always used white glue for the structures that I've scratchbuilt, always seemed to work OK. Easy to clamp for a short period or place weights on top of the pieces. Best part is there is no cleanup, it dries clear. The only thing if wood is to be stained, it has to be done before the model is assembled as it will not penetrate glue that oozes out of joints.

I have a couple of plastic glue syringes that work great on larger projects, easy to apply a drop of glue or a line where you want it. It hardens on the tip when not in use, can easily be cleaned out to start using again.

I use Titebond 11 carpenters glue. It is super strong, waterproof and dries quite fast. You will have a fairly strong bond within 10 min. yet it dries slow enough that you have time to reposition parts if you need to. Not the case with CA.As Bob has said do all staining before any glueing.Ron

Trust me, Use the Testors, you'll be more then happy, no clamps needed, it adheres like CA.

I use mostly any carpenters glue or the testors depending on the situation. CA dries to fast and if isnt perfect doesnt hold and has no flexibility.

Clamp ideas that I use. Clothes pins, aligator clips, paper clips of all sizes and go to a crafts store (Michaels?) and find name badge holder clamps they work Great!!!! Most of them come with a tassle which is great for hanging things to dry.
Dry time is good it makes you think and plan
Good Luck and remember to have fun!!!

Back