Glue and Glue Applicators - What do you use?

NScaler

Engineer in Training
I am looking to better my glue supplies and I am wondering what you guys use for gluing various kits together. I know there are some really good glue applicators out there and I need a couple good ones. My brushes are getting mangled and I want to be a bit more precise than I am currently capable of.

So what do you guys use on what materials?

Thanks.

For applying a small amount of liquid CA adhesive to a very specific spot (such as gluing a grabiron to a body shell) I use an applicator that I saw in Model Railroader years ago. You take a sewing needle and clip off the end of the eyelet so that it forms a two-prong fork. Then jab the other end of the needle into the eraser end of a pencil. A put a few drops of glue into something like a plastic bottle cap and dip the "fork" into the glue. The prongs will hold a small amount of the liquid glue. Then just touch the applicator to where you want the glue.

Steve S

I use Testors Cement for Plastic Models (the red tube) and I keep the cap on. When not in use, I put a small plastic bag over the tip and hold it on with a rubber band. The bag is just one I got in the box for one of my Kato buildings. The glue in the tip will eventually harden, but it won't stick to the bag. When it dries, I peel the glue off the bag. If I'm in the middle of using it and need to set the glue down, I just rest the tip inside the bag. If it drips, I let it dry and peel it off.

I really like this glue because it still gives me enough "play" to adjust when using it, but it dries enough, quickly enough to make modeling super easy. I was able to build 2 models in about 3 hours the other day, just because of the glue.

Glue: http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07/56/11/35/0007561135090_500X500.jpg (value pack at Hobby Lobby is under $5)

For applying the glue, I use the tip of the applicator that comes with the tube for larger beads. For smaller details, I use Microbrush Applicators. The come in various sizes and I use the superfine ones. They come with 10 disposable applicators in a pack for $1.99 at hobby lobby.

Applicator Link: http://thebluebottletree.com/hobby-store-find-microbrushes/

You can reuse them by cleaning the tip with nail polish remover.

I did a search on Amazon for micro brushes and came across these:
http://www.amazon.com/Eyelash-Exten...&qid=1392994777&sr=8-2&keywords=Micro+brushes
Wonder if they are similar ?

I use Testors Cement for Plastic Models (the red tube) and I keep the cap on. When not in use, I put a small plastic bag over the tip and hold it on with a rubber band. The bag is just one I got in the box for one of my Kato buildings. The glue in the tip will eventually harden, but it won't stick to the bag. When it dries, I peel the glue off the bag. If I'm in the middle of using it and need to set the glue down, I just rest the tip inside the bag. If it drips, I let it dry and peel it off.

I really like this glue because it still gives me enough "play" to adjust when using it, but it dries enough, quickly enough to make modeling super easy. I was able to build 2 models in about 3 hours the other day, just because of the glue.

Glue: http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07/56/11/35/0007561135090_500X500.jpg (value pack at Hobby Lobby is under $5)

For applying the glue, I use the tip of the applicator that comes with the tube for larger beads. For smaller details, I use Microbrush Applicators. The come in various sizes and I use the superfine ones. They come with 10 disposable applicators in a pack for $1.99 at hobby lobby.

Applicator Link: http://thebluebottletree.com/hobby-store-find-microbrushes/

You can reuse them by cleaning the tip with nail polish remover.

Sent from Pete's Pad using Tapatalk

I guess I should add my methods to this thread. For wood I use elmers wood glue and I apply it with a toothpick. For paper like signs and such I use Elmers white thinned with water and apply it with a brush.

For my styrene models I have been using Plastruct plastic weld. It has a brush in the bottle which is kind of messy. So I apply it with my small paint brushes.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

I use several glues depending on the material being glued. I've added tips to all the bottles and containers. These tips are readily available at most hobby stores. Basically, the tips are long narrow plastic tubes that fit over the end of a CA bottle. Here's a link to show what the tips look like.

https://www.hobbylinc.com/glue_tips_glue_applicators

I also use Tester's and Model Master glues that come with their own metal tube applicator and a thin steel wire to keep the metal tubes from clogging. Hope this helps.

For low vicosity solvents like MEK, a hypodermic needle is perfect. Caution is required obviously.

I saw that Glue Looper on here awhile back. It looks pretty good. I was thinking of trying it out.

Some good ideas guys. Keep them coming!

For plastic kits, MEK, anywhere for a 3-0 to a 10-0 brush.
For wood kits I use a CA Gel
For resin kits reg CA applied with the needle fork, or plain dissector pin, (Extra long fine needle attached to a wooden handle).
For wooden kits needing extra strong joints, Ambroid Cement.

Peter, those look exactly like the ones I have. Looks like a great deal there, too!

I made a tool like the Glue Looper in high school and worked on a couple different designs to get it to work better. The problem I had was that the glue was drying on the tip and it became a jumbled mess.

My art teacher and I worked on them for WEEKS before we came to the conclusion that it was no better than using a toothpick. I'd like to try the Looper to see how well it works!

Peter, those look exactly like the ones I have. Looks like a great deal there, too!

I made a tool like the Glue Looper in high school and worked on a couple different designs to get it to work better. The problem I had was that the glue was drying on the tip and it became a jumbled mess.

My art teacher and I worked on them for WEEKS before we came to the conclusion that it was no better than using a toothpick. I'd like to try the Looper to see how well it works!

I ordered them so we will see.

Back