Gitten a start

Jon NFL

04-30-09 3 new buildings - after a long break, doing some scale building.
08-21-08 pix of lumber yard with shingles and rolls of tarpaper - and the explosives storage from an old Purina Checker board box car.
07-03-08 and some more pix.
06-28-08 I've added some pix - B&B Dorm and Greeley mine station.

A couple pix of the Greeley Mining & Operations manual "A" frame turntable (and it is manual - so far ). The turntable was scratch built from reverse engineered drawings made from pix I found on eBay. Additional info from the California RR Museum. I kitbashed the pit from a N scale table.

(I just got highspeed so if I get carried away with pix size, let me know) Havin' fun now!

And a couple of the cook house - after the fire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job. Looks almost exactly like the gallows turntable I remember seeing at Laws. I don't know if you are thinking of motorizing it but I wouldn't. That's a clasic "armstrong" turntable that the crew always had to turn by hand. A couple of railroad figures leaning into the turntable lever is all you need.

The gravel pit and silver mine. The 3rd generation silver mine is about give out - doing some tourist stuff today, the 3rd generation gravel pit is being worked. Old #43 pulling into the mining station. The B&B Dorm is on the right of pix4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice modeling. I like the idea of the mne being used for tourist work. There are a number of these in Colorado and they a pretty cool ride - literally, in some cases. :)

Just got around to looking at your pics after a busy week. Wow, they look great! I really like that turntable and the old steam shovel. Looks just like 1920s all over again. Thanks for the inspiration!

And some more pictures -

The Greeley Mining spur - the old miner's dorm that has been converted to a B&B for tourists: pix 4 - stables are under construction.

Hey, Jon, I wondered how the work was coming. Good looking bunk house - should be good for about $150 a night for those crazy railfans. Even got an outdoor pool. :)

Nice Dorm!

Jon,
The B&B dorm also looks a lot like old army barracks. Did you scratchbuild it or was it a kit? :confused: Nice color in the slough, BTW.

Now that you mention it, the B&B does look like the barracks that I worked around at Grissom AFB. Unconsciously I did use them to pattern parts of the build. They are scratch designed and built. I design on CAD, print full size, tacky glue the pattern to the plywood and cut out. In a few days, I'll be posting a Follow-the-Build on the ScratchBuildersGuild. Don't know if it will qualify for the NMRA AP. Any thoughts?

The pond is actually about 3 inches deep- wanted to show the depth and debris on bottom. Hard to see in pix but the fallen tree dissapears into the depths. Poured about 10 layers tinting each less with a mix of Testors blue and green paint. A good sized turtle is swimming from the tree ;o]

I don't know about the NMRA, Jon, but it looks like an awfully nice scratchbuilt structure to me. Try as might, though, I can't see that turtle in the pond. :)

Now I can see where the mine is in relation to the bunkhouse. Very nice work - looks perfect to "mine" some tourist dollars. :)

and a few more pix. Moving around the layout toward BigBend. Received the 90' Cornerstone Turntable. Laying the approach tracks but must get background completed before getting too much completed infront. Who, me? impatient? na ;o)

Wow Jon,
That's some great work.:D I missed this thread completely. I can't wait to see more progress. Gimme some of that 90' TT. I want to see what you do with the area around it... I assume a larger service area?

Working on some new buildings.

After a long break, I've made some progress on 3 new buildings -
The Car Shop as featured in Scale Rails April of last year. The drawings were reverse engineered (I like that term :) and full sized cutting drawings were created. Built from 1/32 and 1/16 plywood with corrugated metal skin on walls and roof. I designed it with the idea of securing the roof to the side walls (logical) but half way through the idea came to mind of keeping the roof removable so the interior could be super detailed. Not sure which way I will end up. The roof has a slight warp.

The tenement building is something I built to play with "ortho projection construction"?? The shack on the hill is the same thing. The far wall corners are shorter than the near wall corner.

Back