Getting The Runaround

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
I was out with LGM fooling around railfanning yesterday and thought run these images by ya'll for some feedback, pro or con. Either way, I hope someone enjoys them.

We got to Garden City (South Hanceville in RR terms) and found this empty coal drag sitting on the siding. A northbound train went by and we high tailed it back to the south to shoot this train coming thru town. It didn't take long to realize from the radio traffic that the coal train wouldn't be going anywhere soon due to another southbound train scheduled to overtake them where they sat at south hanceville, so we returned to get a shot. Unfortunately, I missed the first opportunity as I was getting set up when the southbound came blazing by! That was a disappointment because I've been wanting to try a shot using neutral density filters in front of the lens in just such a situation. ND filters cut down the light coming into a camera and allow slow shutter speeds in bright daylight conditions. Slow shutter speeds allow motion blur in photos...

Interestingly enough, the unfortunate crew of the empty coal train had to wait on another southbound to overtake them. Talk about low priority! That gave me the time I needed to get set up.

I'm talkin low priority... :D Empty southbound at South Hanceville.
3018225190_467a930787_o.jpg

The runaround. Southbound mixed freight blurs by (1/4 sec exposure) at track speed.
3013717585_59102f9b5a_o.jpg

I agree, that first shot with the wiper marks and windshield streaks is really outstanding. I don't care for blurred at-speed photos but that's just a personal opinion. It's a great technical shot.

Thanks for the feedback. The motion blur shot isn't the exact image that's floating around the back of my mind (empty space :D), but it was somewhat similar. What I really want is a tightly framed overpass shot of a lead locomotive cab from behind with a blurred train passing on a siding. Heat waves rising off the unit would add to the drama. Now all I have to do is run across that in the real world. ;)

I'll file this away and try again when the opportunity presents itself.

Eric,
Nice shot. That can be tough to pull off. I was trying it with this shot but I think the fog and bright sun fooled my light meter. this is from about two weeks ago. The SD's still in SOO paint are a rare treat.
IMG_0683.jpg

Back