Getting the blues

Just a dumb question, but why are some tank cars blue? Is it because of GATX?

Or why white? I ask since most all tank cars I see are lease cars, and since railroads are usually the only ones to paint their cars different colors, it seems it would be easier to have them all black or all one color.

Just a dumb question, but why are some tank cars blue? Is it because of GATX?

Or why white? I ask since most all tank cars I see are lease cars, and since railroads are usually the only ones to paint their cars different colors, it seems it would be easier to have them all black or all one color.

I don't know the answer to that, Trey. Does anyone know?

I'm still wondering why they bother to paint any thing if'n they don't plan to wash and keep their equipment looking nice? Primer black, grey, or red would be easier to deal with and way cheaper to apply!

Primer needs to be covered. It is hygroscopic, it attracts moisture. If they left the cars in primer, they would actually rust faster.

I know some cars are painted white to keep them cooler in the sun and well black is just a good basic "hide the grime" color.
Not sure about the blue tho unless it's a visibility thing?

I know that many of the tank cars carrying acid are white. Other than that, I don't know why the rest of them aren't black.

Back