GETTING OVER YOUR FEARS in Model Railroading..

A number of professional pilots have a fear of heights! In an aircraft they are fine (breakoff phenomenon), but get them on a ladder or on a high building and...Yike! I am NOT a fan of most of these tourist helicopter outfits. Their maintenance and the judgement of their pilots can leave something to be desired! "Go fever" can lead to disaster, as illustrated by the crash with the late Kobe Bryant. The pilot should have politely, but firmly declined to fly into IFR conditions! Definition of cumulo-granite: A cloud with a mountain in it! And, no, helos in general don't scare me. I've been a passenger in several when the pilots had just returned from 'Nam and decided to chase coyotes around the Montana countryside, enroute to or from a missile site!
How does all this relate to model railroading, BTW?

A number of professional pilots have a fear of heights! In an aircraft they are fine (breakoff phenomenon), but get them on a ladder or on a high building and...Yike! I am NOT a fan of most of these tourist helicopter outfits. Their maintenance and the judgement of their pilots can leave something to be desired! "Go fever" can lead to disaster, as illustrated by the crash with the late Kobe Bryant. The pilot should have politely, but firmly declined to fly into IFR conditions! Definition of cumulo-granite: A cloud with a mountain in it! And, no, helos in general don't scare me. I've been a passenger in several when the pilots had just returned from 'Nam and decided to chase coyotes around the Montana countryside, enroute to or from a missile site!
How does all this relate to model railroading, BTW?
I forgot to screenshot all the comments over the years about "I am afraid to weather my new engine" "I am afraid to try making scenery". "I am afraid to try to build that kit". Its crazy how many times that word is used in the hobby. So I felt the need to address it in someway that I could.

I get it. I hadn't built scenery outside of urban areas on my pervious layout until my grandson wanted a Jurassic Park themed layout. When it was done received many compliments on how nice the scenery looked. Scenery product, tools and of course YouTube have come along way during my 25 year hiatus from the hobby making the task much easier and less scary.

Back