Germany train

pia

Hello. I have just arrived back home from one of the best couple of weeks I’ve ever had. I went on a trip around Germany during my holidays from uni, because I had to do some research for my dissertation (it’s about German culture, so I figured what better to go there and ask the Germans themselves about it). Before my trip I asked a friend about how best to get a round and all he said were two words: Germany train. It turns out the German railway system is really good and you can even get to the tiniest village by train. Because I decided to take that advice, I managed to see every bit of this massive country, from large cities to small rural villages. I’d recommend this kind of round trip to anyone, because apart from getting to see loads you also get away really cheaply and also manage to meet loads of nice people on the various train journeys.

Very true , My friend went to Poland for a wedding this summer and he landed in Germany and took the rail system from there over to Poland and he said it was very nice to ride the rails from there into Poland . !!

Very true , My friend went to Poland for a wedding this summer and he landed in Germany and took the rail system from there over to Poland and he said it was very nice to ride the rails from there into Poland . !!

Yes it is! Have you experience taking into rails also?

Sorry I haven't traveled the European Rail System yet !!
Paul, European railways are passenger orientated, it's definitely a pleasant experience traveling by rail across the pond. Fast, efficient and service with satisfaction seemed to be the order of the day in the 70's, I hope it hasn't deteriorated since then. I can't recall ever being on a siding to let a freight pass, more like it was the other way around.

Willis

Anyone who travels to Europe and doesn't go by train is really "missing the train." My wife and I lived in Germany for a year in 1975 and we hardly ever traveled by car. We took trains, streetcars and busses everywhere. The trains were ALWAYS on time and very economical. The busses are an extension of the train system, DEUTCHES BUNDESBAHN (German Federal Railway). I came back to the U.S. wishing I could do the same here, similar to what one could do some 100 years ago. We also traveled by train to Switzerland, France, Belgium and the U.K. We used BritRail passes in the U.K. and loved it.

Maybe if the cost of gas gets high enough . We may be forced to revisit our public transportations !!

I was in Germany during the early '70s, while in the Army. Rode trains everywhere, plus went through "East" Germany when going to Berlin.
The DDR (East Germany) still used steam engines then too. I'll never
forget waking up one night while the train stopped on our way into
Berlin. I opened up the window shade and a big steamer was sitting on
a roundhouse turntable with a bounch of other steamers sitting in the bays!
It was right out of the "twilight zone" and I thought I had gone back into time....... SALRy;)

Back