Gas Station/Barber Shop/Grocery Store

WVrailfan

My Dad grew up in a small town called Malden, WV. He showed me an old black and white photo, likely from the late thirties or forties, of the town gas station, barber shop and grocery store, all in one building. The grocery store was also the local REA office.

About all he could tell me from memory was that the building was white with red trim, which makes sense since it was an Esso station. Everything else I just guessed on.

The photo wasn't great and only gave me one view of the building, but I thought it would fit an HO layout nicely so I tried my hand at scratch building it. Here is the results. My store sign came out a little oversized, I may try to do a better one, but this one is at least easy to see.

I have some weathering to do, but overall, I'm pretty happy with it.

Jim

That is a really nice job. I'm hoping to do a model or two of buildings from my and my wife's hometown on my layout. I've got to get a few more kits under my belt first but I'm not going to be afraid to try. Again, a great job!

Its very nice work!! The sign looks fantastic at that size. Are the pumps sitting at a touch of an angle, or is that an effect of my phone screen?

Its very nice work!! The sign looks fantastic at that size. Are the pumps sitting at a touch of an angle, or is that an effect of my phone screen?

The pumps are leaning just a bit, I have fixed them since that photo was taken.
Thanks for the kind words folks.

Jim

Excellent job! Was this made primarily from styrene? The wood floor inside looks great!

Thanks, yes the building is all plastic. The floor is grooved Evergreen distressed with a saw blade to give it a wood grain effect and painted with three shades of brown.

Jim

Back