Function Mapping ????

PMW

I see some info on this in the manual and I've searched the "electronic interweb" :) but I don't have a clue.

I have some engines with Tsunami2 decoders. Function 7 dims the head/rear lights and also enables cab chatter. I would like to be able to use a different function key to control light dimming and cab chatter. I want the two functions to be independent of one another.

Is this what function mapping is for? If so, does anyone have a link to a webpage that explains how to do this?

Thanks

Just guessing here, but function mapping probably varies depending on your brand of DCC system. Also guessing you can do it through your main throttle, if you don't have JMRI. Try doing some searching on your DCC brand's website, and see if they offer instructions on how to do it.

Seems like I remember reading about this in the instructions for my NCE system, but I haven't looked at the instructions for a long time. And since I have never done it anyway, I can't offer any actual hands-on, experienced advice.

Function mapping is the process of moving tasks (functions) from one function key to another, or specifying when something does something. For example, when you blow the horn, whether the bell rings.
It is all in the decoder, not the command station, and that does what, and what has to be changed to make something do something changes from decoder brand to decoder brand. And even from decoder to decoder.
Functions are mapped using control variables (cv's). The simplest one is setting cv1 to a 2 digit address. You can get really far in the weeds as far as changing what the decoder does.

You should be able to do what you want. Since the Tsunami decoder manual is about 65 pages, I would try to get a programming track connected to JMRI. When I started with DCC my Digitrax DH121 decoders had about 100 CVs. The LokSound 5 decoders replacing them have over a thousand and I couldn't keep track without JMRI.

After a cursory glance at a Tsunami manual, I understand your confusion. There are so many options manufacturers use tabbed indexes for programming. In order to set a CV another CV needs to have a certain value, hence output of F7 is controlled by CV 1.273 Before programming it, you need to make sure CV31 is 16 and 32 is 1. I would start here in the manual and good luck,

Usually, to get two things to happen, add the values of each thing together and put that number into the function output CV. On the next page you can see the dimmer is 7 and cab chatter is 22. If you can, read the F7 CV (1.273) and see if it's 29. I hope that can get you started.

Thanks, all. I will work on it but I'm still confused...for some reason I am just not getting this. I did find a video online from Soundtraxx explaining it. Of course I'm still not clear but hopefully what I find and what you all have offered I'll figure it out one day :)

JMRI is what you want.
It makes things much MUCH easier to do -- you can see all the functions right in front of you displayed on one page.
Here's an example of what it looks like:
function map.jpg

Your next move should be to find out more about JMRI, and get Decoder Pro installed and running.

I keep on thinking maybe I need to get JMRI, but then again I don't really change many CV's, or do any function mapping either 🤔

I keep on thinking maybe I need to get JMRI, but then again I don't really change many CV's, or do any function mapping either 🤔
How do you move cars around your railroad? I've been using JMRI for a few years now and it's never been interfaced with my layout. For now I just use it for operations and I love it!

If you're interested Arthur Houston (arthurhouston3 on youtube) and others have some helpful videos

I'll probably make it too easy for you.
Follow this link, fill out the form, with what decoder you have, what you want it to do, and ask what CVs are changed, and to what value.

That does sound like the easiest way! Thanks. Honestly, I think I would rather wait until I have at least somewhat of an understanding what I'm doing instead of just doing what someone tells me to do. But if worse comes to worst....😄

It's not the most pressing thing to address on my layout by far so I'm going to take some time between other projects and see it I can finally wrap my head around indexed cvs and mapping.

No eureka moment on function mapping yet, got side tracked actually and haven't even looked into it for a while. However I did find out something interesting by accident...(Tsunami 2 decoder)

I figured out how to adjust front and back up light brightness because a loco I have had one dramatically brighter than the other. Now they are uniform but interestingly enough function 7 now only controls cab chatter and does not dim/undim the lights.

I can still dim the head/back up light by changing cvs 61, 62 but it's a bit of a pain compared to just pressing 7. It's not a huge deal if the engine's going to be working the yard for a while but just for a moment because there's an on coming train....I think I'll just leave the brightness alone in that case until I figure all this out.

Just wanted to share for anyone who, like me, doesn't want the light to dim (for no apparent reason) every time cab chatter occurs.

Back