Fully sprung trucks

Hutch

After snapping a truck trying to reinsert the wheels, not the first time, I went shopping for replacements. I keep seeing fully sprung trucks, I don't know what that means.

I also found trucks with plastic wheels. I'm not opposed to them, you get a lot more for the money. I've never minded plastic wheels as long as they work and don't derail. Someday I might care but right now I just want to get all my trains working.

I cannot help regarding fully sprung trucks.

Plastic wheels are 'okay to a point'. They get 'grotty' and are not easy to keep clean imo.
I have some rolling stock still with plastic wheels because they are difficult to change.

Rolling stock I buy now have metal wheels

Like anything else, keep on top of track maintenance and rolling stock and more than half the battle of happy train running is won.

David

When ya look at the side of a rail car truck, you'll see springs. Some trucks might have only two springs, some have three or more. On the plastic trucks, the springs are just part of the mold.
Fully sprung trucks have actual springs in the sides but no movement. Other trucks have springs and the support bar actually moves up and down when ya press down on the car.

I had some fully sprung trucks but removed them and installed Accurail trucks with IM wheel sets.
I found the when the sprung trucks fell apart they really fell apart!
They’re still around here somewhere.

fully sprung trucks have springs that are supposed- to move ... but i couldn't find any rolling stock that would actually was heavy enough to compress the springs .. kinda of a nice idea, but a big failure in execution , i threw them in a pile someplace...

ACtually, the sprung trucks provide a bit more forgiveness for uneven track as each side can tip a bit more than a solid plastic truck.
Here is a 100 ton roller bearing truck with working springs sitting flat on the rails. A solid plastic truck would lift the front wheel on the other rail as well.

20230621_165733.jpg

Here is the truck with a pik stuck under the front wheel. The rest of the wheels are still sitting flat on the rails.

20230621_165933.jpg

After snapping a truck trying to reinsert the wheels, not the first time, I went shopping for replacements. I keep seeing fully sprung trucks, I don't know what that means.
I've found that fully sprung trucks always seem to be too loosey goosey or to stiff. And the real springs always look a bit off to me. Physics and all.

Back