from mth to fastrack

rdeal

i have a mth christmas freight train "set" - engine, cars, track and transformer

what do i need to use the "set" with fastrack - from transformer to track ?

rdeal

Last edited by a moderator:
I am assuming you already have a Lionel Fastrack layout?

Unless you are running MTH's command control system (DCS) there should be nothing you will need.

MTH even makes transition pieces to enable you to use their track with your Fastrack.

Did your MTH set come with a remote control? I know they make a basic remote control system for some RTR (ready to run) sets. If it did check the owners manual for "Conventional control" I am almost positive it will run on a conventional Lionel transformer. I don't have any MTH locomotives or DCS, but I know where to find the information if we need it.

If you tell me what you already have (track, transformer and Command Control system if you do have Command Control, TMCC or Legacy) and what MTH set you got for Christmas (congratulations!) I should be able to help you more.

Bruette - no, i do not have a Lionel Fastrack layout - but i do have track from the christmas layout from last two years - an elongated figure eight
and i am planning to use Fastrack on the new permanent christmas layout i am considering to build in the basement room

the christmas train is the [FONT=&quot]269E Distant Control Steam Freight Set Christmas Freight set[/FONT] with - [FONT=&quot]Proto-Sound 3.0[/FONT] - it is remote And A Lot Of Fun

but i would like to run it on the larger layout

thanks for your help

rdeal

Ok I got some things wrong, you have an MTH Christmas set, you did not say you got it for Christmas! DOH!

Forgive me, that is what I get for rushing, today is my Wife's birthday and I tried to answer quickly. Haste makes waste!

To be able to use your transformer with an existing Lionel Fastrack layout you will need to disconnect your Lionel transformer and connect your MTH transformer follow the directions that came with your set. Fastrack and MTH's track system (I can't remember the name) are interchangeable, but command controls are not.

If you give me more information I can better assist you.

Sorry for my confusion :)

Treat the Fastrack like the MTH track, no electrical differences, center rail hot (+) outside rails common (-) and no appreciable differences in usability (trains will run on either one).

I don't know how the MTH transformer connects to the track, but I am sure we can solve that as well. What kind of terminal ends does it have?

If you want you can use the MTH track with Fastrack with a transition track piece made by MTH

Bruette - let clear up the christmas confusion - and - happy birthday to your wife - and - thanks for your help

santa brought me a lionel set - christmas morning, 1948 - i have put that train and track around my christmas tree every year 1948 to now
two years ago i switched track to fastrack - and created a larger christmas layout - now moving to basement to create a permanent christmas layout - more about this later
this christmas - 2014 - my wife gave me an MTH christmas train - just a total surprise -
the christmas train is the [FONT=&amp]269E Distant Control Steam Freight Set Christmas Freight set[/FONT] with - [FONT=&amp]Proto-Sound 3.0[/FONT] - it is remote And A Lot Of Fun

rdeal

All you need to do is to hook your MTH power supply to your Fastrack and you are off an running

Be sure to disconnect your Lionel transformer.

Also it would not be a good idea to run your old (post war) Lionel trains with the MTH power supply. With out going into a lot of detail the new power supplies convert house power to track power differently and they can over heat old trains.

You are more then welcome for the help and I will pass on the birthday wishes to my wife, thank you!

Enjoy your trains!

Back