Freight car design....

That is very interesting in deed and to think it all started with a $50 train set.

Thanks for posting that 113.

That is true! It could have been a Lionel set back then for $50, but adjusting for inflation I still say toy trains are cheaper then ever today.

Hmmm, my Santa Fe 50' express box I just purchased (Athearn RTR) has the Allied trucks rather than the Chrysler.

Iron Horseman: The ATSF used Allied trucks on those cars. And if the car is painted a shade of Pullman or olive green, that would also be right.

Iron Horseman: The ATSF used Allied trucks on those cars. And if the car is painted a shade of Pullman or olive green, that would also be right.
Yeah I know. All the photos I have show the Allied trucks. But the article said "Other cars that used the Chrysler Design Trucks for freight were the Pennsylvania Railroad Merchandise Service box cars, New York Central “Pacemaker” box cars, B&M mail cars, B&O Express freight cars, UP stock cars, ATSF Express cars, Fruit Growers’ Express refrigerator cars, and C&O gondola cars." So I was trying to find out which express cars this means. All the photos of express reefers have seen use the "BX express" trucks. What is left? The container express cars? I don't think so because those were cut down heavyweight cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
First time that I've ever seen this one, was this the only freight car painted like this??

rrfair4869.jpg

In the 1940s most railroad freight car wheels had solid journal bearings,
but many newer passenger cars and locomotives were using roller bearings.
At the 1948 Railroad Fair the Timken Roller Bearing Company of Canton, Ohio,
exhibited a demonstration "Roller Freight" car utilizing the company's famous
tapered roller bearings (not visible, however, in this transparency).
Today all equipment in revenue service that is interchanged between
railroads is required to have roller bearings.

Back