Foamers?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

jacon12

I must have been asleep when this one came about, but what does the word foamer mean as it relates to trains and how did it originate?
Jarrell

Lady_Railfan

House Mother, Cheerleader
Here are a couple of definitions from our very own Glossary. (See link at the top of the page.)

Foamer: Railfan that behaves unsafely on or near RoW. Probably also a FOMOR.

FOMOR: Foreign Object Meandering On Right-of-way, such as a cow, trespasser, foamer railfan, etc.

Another definition I like is from Henry Kisor's 1994 book, Zephyr: "...a species you'll find everywhere flanged wheel encounters steel rail. A foamer "bubbles at the lips when discussing his favorite subject --- trains."

You won't find any of those around here, of course. :D

NWR #200

Irish Expatriate
Lady_Railfan said:
Another definition I like is from Henry Kisor's 1994 book, Zephyr: "...a species you'll find everywhere flanged wheel encounters steel rail. A foamer "bubbles at the lips when discussing his favorite subject --- trains."
I loved that book. Read it in college. Liked the way he goes behind the scenes. Makes you appreciate the onboard staff even more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.