Foam Thickness and Tortoises

I finally have stopped procrastinating and started on my HO shelf layout. Yesterday I put up the shelving brackets so I am now ready to start building the bench work. With this in mind I have two questions:

1 - What thickness of foam to use?
I have previously used 2" foam for the base but could I use 1" foam instead or would this be too thin?

2 - Are tortoises worth it?
I have been kicking around the idea of using tortoise switch machines on my layout. With it being a shelf layout there would be no more than 6 but are they worth the time and effort to put in or am I better off with manual throws? Also, if I do decide to go with them how can they be mounted on hollow core doors (if possible) and is the DPDT switch a regular switch or a momentary type?

Thanks in advance

Teamanglerx:

I would use the 2 inch foam for better support and more rigid than the 1 inch foam. Still provide support under the foam at 18 inch spacing.

I have 24+ Tortoise switch machines on my layout and have not encountered any problems. However, on a shelf switching layout, I would use manual ground throws due to the realism of actually hand throwing the turnout that they will provide in a switching themed layout.

The DPDT is a regular switch and needs special, but not hard wiring for the Tortoise. The DPDT switch reverses the current flow to operate the Tortoise machines. The Tortoise have "stall" type motors and require current at all times to hold the points in place. Instructions are included with the Tortoise machines how to wire the DPDT.

I would not use a hollow core door as a base, but build a bench work of 1X4 lumber and mount the foam on the framework, much like many module layouts have been constructed.

I finally have stopped procrastinating and started on my HO shelf layout. Yesterday I put up the shelving brackets so I am now ready to start building the bench work. With this in mind I have two questions:

1 - What thickness of foam to use?
I have previously used 2" foam for the base but could I use 1" foam instead or would this be too thin?

No 1" foam is not too thin. It just depends on what you want to do with it, ie: rivers, lakes gorges etc. If all you want is a "soft" base over ply then 1" will work fine.

2 - Are tortoises worth it?
I have been kicking around the idea of using tortoise switch machines on my layout. With it being a shelf layout there would be no more than 6 but are they worth the time and effort to put in or am I better off with manual throws? Also, if I do decide to go with them how can they be mounted on hollow core doors (if possible) and is the DPDT switch a regular switch or a momentary type?

Thanks in advance

It seems as though you are looking at only two possibilities for your turnouts when there are many options available to you. Tortoise Machines are okay BUT you need to be aware that they really need to be under bench mounted which means yo have t consider where your benchwork cross beams will be in relation to your turnouts and the thickness of the material that yo have to go through.

So, are they worth it, not in my opinion regardless how popular they may seem to be.

Back