Foam Question

wilson44512

Newbie RRDER
I got these 2 sheets of 4X8 foam board for free. Would it be ok for the top of the table?

y5Y3A.jpg

they can be used, but this is often called beadboard. Working with it is very messy and many ordinary solvents absolutely dissolve it. If you are going to cover it with something else (what I did) it is fine. But to work it, shape it and such is often more frustration than joy.

I just want to use it as a base. And cut a little out for a small lake and a little river. I was going to get and use the other kind for making hills and small mountains The pic shows how i want to make the lake and the river. should i just use a 1 inch board or put both for a 2 inch base?

9sjjG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
While I normally would agree that the extruded foam is better than the beadboard, if you're going to use it strictly as a base for everything else, it should be OK. Just be sure to seal it with paint and plaster along the edges which will have a tendency to get damaged, releasing more of those d*** little beads!

While in my old club in Mobile, we used beadboard for everything. This was in the mid to late 1970's and this was all we could get. We layered it for hills etc, and we even got a realistic cut/rockface out of it. It was extremely messy to use, until we discovered hot wire cutting. We took an old soldering gun, and instead of the regular tip, we formed a loop out of old coat hanger wire. The loop could be shaped into anything we wanted the cut to be. Just pull the trigger and when the loop was real hot, we gouged out what we wanted, by slowly pulling/pushing the gun and loop along.

While it was a lot less messy, then when trying to shape it with knives and saws, there was still a lot of vacuuming needed to get every last little bead off of that layout, before the hard shell coating was applied.

im just going to use it as a base. and use other foam for hills and stuff. like i said im just going to cut out for the lake and river. Im going to glue the 2 peices together so i can have 2 inches. What would be a good color? Green, Brown?????

We use this stuff at the club, but only because it is free and the extruded stuff is too expensive here is Oz (like AUD$35 for 8'x2' 2" sheet!).

Apart from the mess, the expanded stuff like you have, is flamable. If it burns, the fumes are toxic. Having it in your home might affect insurance too.

But, up to you. As I said, we use it, but we would rather use the extruded stuff if the distributors would offer a more reasonable price.

Thats so true. the good stuff is expensive. especially for me. Im on disabilty. and have a very tight budget. And i do mean tight:eek:. so I'm going to try this and see what happens. thanks every for for the help

Be sure not to use anything but paints like acrylics or latex on it. Anything else will melt it. For adhesives use a good white or yellow glue or latex caulk.

I used "beadboard" white foam board for my layout because it was free and available. It does the job, the pink stuff is better but its more money.

The white foam works for me. Just make sure you have a vacuum ready.
I would double up your boards so you have 2 inches to work with.

Also. Ive used hot glue alot on my foam board, just make sure you have your hot glue gun on the lowest setting (low temp) and it works fantastic.

It doesnt burn through the foam board if you use the low temp.
walmart sells dual temp hot glue guns for under 10 bucks. If you choose to get hot glue gun, get one that takes the bigger style glue tubes.

Within seconds you can glue roadbed or whatever to the foamboard and move on to the next peice instead of waiting for regular glue or caulk to dry.

Again the whiteboard will work great for a base and to carve down for rivers/lakes/ culverts or whatever you want to do.
If you plan to make hills or mountains id go with the pink foam board.

Also, the "great stuff" expanding foam in a can works awesome for hills/mountains. Its very easy to carve. You could even use the white foam board to make a rough outline of a gill or mountain, then spray the expanding foam over foam board to get a better shape, then just carve the expanding foam to whatever shape your after....

I used "beadboard" white foam board for my layout because it was free and available. It does the job, the pink stuff is better but its more money
Just how much are you saving?? Considering this is the foundation of your layout, is it really worth it?? ;) I found 1/2" rigid foamboard for $8 a 4x8' sheet. Think about it. What does a single car cost now days? More than a entire 1" sheet of foamboard.

How could you attach any switch motor from underneath without it falling off eventually?

Back