Flickering

elsner203

Hello all,
I'm running into a bit of trouble with my small layout, so I thought I'd join MRF to get some help from people who actually know what they're doing.

Yesterday I bought a used layout with two ovals, five buildings, a water tower, Railpower 1300 powerpack and a bunch of cars. It took me a while to figure out how the builder had the whole thing wired, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to avoid flickering lights when the water tower blinks. (Haven't been able to get the loco to move either, but that's a different problem) Does the water tower need to be wired separately? Any help you can offer would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Do you know if the tower is wired into the track power?
It should have its own source.
It would be a good idea to disconnect the wiring and start fresh so you know everything is done right, and clean the heck out of the track.

If the water tower and lights are connected to their own power supply, perhaps the lights are drawing more current than the power supply can provide.
Look on the 1300 power pack and you should see the track output labeled as such, "Track power". Only the track should be connected here.
Also, check the loco and see if it has a decoder in it. If it does, it may be set to operate DCC only. It can be toggled to run on DC as well, but I think you would need a DCC programmer to do that.

Thanks for the help. I've decided to redo all the wiring to make sure. I did get the loco to move a few inches, but only seems to be going in reverse. I'm planning on taking it back to the store where I bought it. They said they could test parts for me to make sure they work. I think I'll take them up on their offer!

Back