Flex track or sectional track? Which is best?

UPRRfan

I've been in the process of building a new layout and I have finally decided that I am going to get all new track because the old track is getting really old. I'm still in the layout design process, but my old track that was on my old layout (that was handed down to me by my grandfather) was a mix of flex track and sectional track. So I was wondering what is better, flex track or sectional track?? Also what one is cheaper? Because I would like to go with just one or the other, not both, or is that good to go with both?

My benchwork is a 4x12 with a 2x6 extension on the side (kinda like a "L" shape). So I may need a fair bit of track.

Flex.

First of all, fewer joints. Few pieces of track.

Custom curves, even make straight section curve for more interesting look.

Easy to install and maintain.

Looks better IMHO.

I have to echo the last post. Flex track is way more versatile. You can cut it to fit your needs.

On top of that you have less problems carrying current. I solder feeder wires ever 3 sections of flex track.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to echo the last post. Flex track is way more versatile. You can cut it to fit your needs.

On top of that you have less problems carrying current. I solder feeder wires ever 3 sections of flex track.

Better yet, solder all your joints. And then you can have less feeder wires. I do this and my electrical is solid as a rock.

You can also cut sections of cardboard either in giant pie shapes or strips the width of roadbed. At the train club we have enormous cutouts of plywood for the big radii measuring tools.

I have some sectional 18 rad curve track on my layout, most "hidden from view". At the time I just used what I had.

If I did it all over, flextrack all the way for the reasons mentioned above.

Also if you can start your curves easy, not from straight to 18 or 22 rad. Just work into the required rad a bit at the time. The train looks much better going through the curves this way.

I have another question, when i use the yard stick method, is the radius the track center or the outside curve of the track??

I have another question, when i use the yard stick method, is the radius the track center or the outside curve of the track??

It would be the track center. You draw your line, then when you lay the roadbed down, like cork, is in two pieces. The line would be in between both pieces of cork.

On straight sections, or casual curves, what I do is lay down the flex, tape it down. Then trace a line on both sides of the track. Then follow that with the cork.

You'll find out, it doesn't have to be perfect, and you'll have to make adjustments anyways. That's why I tape down the track first, to see if everything fits.

One helpful technique that seems common is to solder two pieces of flex together before installing it on the layout. Effectively making a 6' section rather than two 3' sections. It helps minimize the number of difficult joints to make.

Flex track has full width plastic ties to the end of the rails, unlike sectional which has molded gaps in the ties to accommodate the rail joiners. You'll need to remove the obstructive ties, nip the over-length rail (in curved sections), join the two pieces of flex track, shave the molded plastic spikes from the removed ties, and slide them under the joint. The issue here, and this is VERY IMPORTANT, is that you will have a short section of track at each flex track joint that is not held in gauge by ties. You want to keep this section as short as possible or find a way of holding the rail in gauge. I'm sure lots of members here will have excellent suggestions. Personally I just used code 100 rail and kept the unsecured sections as short as possible and had few problems. Some might suggest various glues or nails to firm up the position of the 'floating' rail.

Good luck! Have fun! Share your progress!

Its called a Bright Boy. Walthers makes it under their name. There are other brands out there as well. Life-Like, Bachmann, Perfect,etc. Its basically like the old ink erasers on steroids.

Back