flex to ez track

unkaboose

is it possible to join code 100 flex to ez track, i have enough ez straight pieces to do the straight shots but the ez track wont hug tight on the curves, im trying to make a 2nd run but cant do it with the ez track, was wondering if i could use flex on the curves

I used EZ track and Flex track interchangeably on my layout. At first it looks funny but when you get the ballast in place everything runs together. I think you have to ballast it to make it look good.

Most of my turnouts are EZ track for simplicity of operation and wiring. I bought all of my Flex track on ebay and some is Atlas and some other brands, unknown.

I would be careful if you are doing a tight curve radius and make sure your stock can handle it before nailing it down permanently.

1 more question, i noticed the cork roadbed is 3/16 thick but ez track base looks to be 5/16 thick, what did yall do to compensate for this

I used 1/4 inch plywood under my track rather than cork. I like the sound of the wheels going over the track, I think it sounds more like a real train.

To transition, I poured sifted dirt between the ties and soaked it down with the glue/water mixture or scenic cement (Woodland scenics product) which made it hard and non dusty. Then either ballasted it or left it like a dirt roadway.

This is kind of unconventional, but it worked well and if you check out this video I show how I did it:

[video=youtube;dgkNpazxDZI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgkNpazxDZI&index=5&list=PLmDLuMmpivK4qL5eq3iyErQUVP25Dv2hK[/video]

I kind of sped by the transitions but at 30 seconds it shows the two types of track together and also at about 1 minute, there are more videos the ones numbered 1 through 8 show the whole layout construction.

I have nothing to add about your question, but I do love the sound of LASM's trains, I was wondering how he got that sound, now we know!

Back