Fixing Buildings to the Layout

Monegeetta

How do people fix the houses and other buildings to your layouts. I've never reached this stage before in trying to build a layout in over 40 years, see what happens when you retire, it creates all sorts of problems.:mad:

I normally don't attach buildings to the layout. I learned early on that shirtsleeves snag them and elbows bump them when you are reaching over them to adjust things behind them; sometimes damaging fragile details. I also generally come back later and add details, interiors, and lighting to buildings that I may not get to initially, especially when newer products are introduced. This is something that is best done at the workbench, I do however "plant" them. On buildings with open foundations, I drill small holes in my plywood base corresponding to the interior corners and insert short pieces of toothpicks to position the buildings. I landscape right up to the foundation on most buildings which hides the seams. On some smaller buildings such as lineside signal buildings I do use a dab or two of Scenic Accents glue to keep them in place. This product is not a permanent adhesive, but allows removal and re-positioning, mainly used for figures.
willie

In those instances where I need to get under buildings, such as if I have electronic modules residing there (easier access than trying to get my 70-year old bod under the layout!), I simply let them sit there. In those instances where I want them secured to the layout, I either mould a foundation using plaster, then remove the building while the plaster dries, lay down some of that now-unavailable AMI tar roadbed as a foundation, or a drop of Walther's GOO at each corner, or some other rubber-based cement that will hold the building, but comes up fairly easily without damaging the material of which the building is made.

Many buildings have concrete or jumble block basements. I cut strips of extruded foam, score their outer sides to look like block or stone, or poured concrete, and glue those in place using wood glue or something else that is suitable. Later, I set the building structure atop the 'foundation.' Just set in place, not affixed with any adhesive. I remove them periodically.

The concrete steps at the close corner are also carved extruded foam, painted with acrylics.

IMG_2886cr.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all, 3 replies and 3 different ways of doing the same thing. That's one thing I love about model trains, there is no wrong way. I have buildings that I bought in Singapore in the 70's where I first came across N scale but that layout didn't survive the trip back to Australia. My next three attempts all ended up in packing boxes where they stayed for the past 20 yrs and since retiring a couple of yrs ago I have been trying to get back into model trains. I don't have a lot of room but have come up with an 8x4 layout to fit the area I have available to me..

I will try all three ideas to see which suits me and my shirtsleeves (yep Willie I can relate to that, very recent experience- yesterday - today the glue came out)

Thanks, Joe. I know it is dark, but it was supposed to be a night shot mostly to show the interior lighting that came with the built-up structure from Walthers, and which I had just hooked up for the first time. I now wish I had a better view of that setup because I destroyed it last May.

Back