First trestle

JimmyG

Well, the quarry train has been quite anxious to get to the quarry, so the MM&W CEO finally got to build the trestle across the Bloody Run Creek during Christmas break. Next it's time to pour the water... Let me know what you think. You won't hurt my feelings. :) JimmyG

Jimmy, I think it looks great for your first wood trestle. Nice color and the bracing looks just right. Be sure to post some pictures when you get the water in.

I think it's absolutely awesome...will be attempting to build one for my layout one day and I hope it turns out as well as your's.

Very nice trestle! I love the little ones as much as the big ones. I'm a bridge fanatic, that's probably why I got into Structural Engineering.

If I had to give advice, I would tell you that you could do away with the bracing that attaches to your abutments. You can keep it if you like, but it isn't needed.

Nice switcher, I have one that used to be painted exactly like that, but it didn't have a motor. I foolishly re-painted it red to fit the new SF colors, but I would like to go back. Not sure if I can get the paint off without removing the old paint.

Very nice trestle! I love the little ones as much as the big ones. I'm a bridge fanatic, that's probably why I got into Structural Engineering.

If I had to give advice, I would tell you that you could do away with the bracing that attaches to your abutments. You can keep it if you like, but it isn't needed.

Thanks for the info. I added the abutment braces afterwards when I saw them on some other trestles. I like bridges too and have waited a long time to build this one. I didn't really show the bents in the photo. They are the best part, actually. I built them using a jig and then used trial and error to fit them in. The back part of the river actually rises up about 1 1/2 inches, so fitting the bents took a while. It's been fun. Now it will go slower again :eek: as I'm back to teaching band in the schools.

Jimmy, are you going to be traveling to Council Bluffs to go to the train show at the end of this month?

AyTrane, I didn't know there was one. Who's show is it and which weekend? If it's the weekend of the 24th, I have National Guard duty, and since I'm the CO, I have to be there.

All,
I was hoping to use Woodland Scenics E-Z Water (melt and pour beads). I've never used it before. If you've had experience with this stuff, I wouldn't mind a pointer or two.

I've used the melt and pour. Ruined a pot, came out yellow. Make sure you do a lot of prep work to keep it from flowing somewhere you don't want it to go. I could see where it has potential, but I'm currently looking for other options.

The train show is the Great Train Expo. It's at the Mid America Center in Council Bluffs. It runs 1-31/2-1-09.

Envirotex clear acrylic. No stench, boiling, or weird colors. Dries in less than 4 hours and you can do multiple pours without ruining the previous pours. Best of all, you can get it a Wallyworld for about 1/4 the price of the WS product.

Envirotex

UP2CSX, thanks for the tip. I still have to model a partial bridge over a piece of the Mississippi at Marquette, Iowa. I will check out the Envirotex acrylic stuff. I hope to pour the Bloody Run this weekend. It seems to me that the hardest part of all this is preparing/coloring the bottom of the "water." Once I pour the water, I want it to look good. Aahh but it's a great hobby nonetheless. :)

Hi: Nice job on your bridge. As to water, you are right, prep is the key, in my opinion. I haven't used Envirotex, so I can't comment on it, although many modelers use it with great results. I have used Magic Water, and I think I got good results with it. Tips: spend the time to completely seal your stream, river, etc., don't ask how I know. Use a dark color, black or dark green to simulate depth. Use an earth color for the shallower parts. Blend the colors for a gradual transition from deep to shallow. Glue rocks, twigs, dead falls, etc. before you pour the "water". Add vegetation after the stream is done. Here's a couple of examples on my layout. Hope this helps.

P1020144.jpg

P1020775.jpg

P1020954.jpg
P1030109.jpg

The Bloody Run Creek is flowing

Well, the WS yellow beads were awful, especially since I had to pour more than once due to the size of the creek and the layers would not mix. I was rather disgusted with the outcome. :( I went to the LHS and bought Water Effects to cover up the mess. It's no way great, but I can live with it now. :rolleyes: BTW, the little Spectrum 44 ton switcher was a Christmas present. It will handle some of the ore trains later. Last post here.

Jimmy, looks kind of like the Cuyahoga River back in the days when it was really polluted. Some streams just look like that - they can't all be trout fishing spots. :) I really do recommend Envirotex though. No mixing, melting, and no weird colrs. Just as clear as glass and you add as many pours as you need.

the ws pellets are bad I used it once never again. I hear magic water is they way to go or just buy the stuff at the hardware store for cheeper. We have to do a river sceen at the club so Im looking forward to see the out come.

Back