First Showing of Freedom Train....

enjineerbill

Avid People Watcher
Hello,

This past weekend March 21st and 22nd, 2009, was the first public showing of my HO scale American Freedom Train. The show was sponsored by the La Crosse and Three Rivers Model railroad club and proved to be a very well run family show. Highlights included LEGO trains and at least a dozen large modular railroads from various tri-state clubs. Some real beautiful work by these groups.

My particular favorite was outside on the concourse where a large semi-truck, equipped with slideouts, was emblazoned with beautiful scenes of military funerals and the large words "Reflections". This truck is a display of various types of american funerals, from the very poor to those who are quite affluent. So very, very well done. Of particular note is the Lincoln funeral car built by Wayne Wezolowski(sic). Not sure of the scale, but looks to be 1" to the foot or larger. It is a piece of work that must be seen. Words cannot describe the craftsmanship this cars has. Must have been many hours of research. If you get the chance to see this display, do it.

Here then is my photo essay of the AFT at La Crosse, Wisconsin.

The dioramas are 2 ft. deep and 3 ft long. There are four, so when assembled, it measures 2ft X 12 ft.

The scene depicts the train arriving in the mid-west on one of many repeat performances. Spotting is just about complete and a crowd has gathered to watch the activities. Tomorrow it will be wall to wall folks who want to view the train...

LCTR_1.png

LCTR_2.png

The main portion of the train is cut off on the siding. This display portion is 12 cars including the exit/generator car #111 in the foreground.

LCTR_3.png

A MadCoW geep is in charge of spotting as both Steam Engines are already buried in the display.

LCTR_4.png

At the entrance end of the train we see the SP4449 and flats that await unloading.

LCTR_5.png

The two showcase cars are almost spotted.

LCTR_6.png

Walking on the ridge gives a view of the three flats with the ticket and concession wagons and vehicles that are an integral part of the train.

LCTR_7.png

LCTR_8.png

Folks arriving even thought generator car #200 was noteworthy.

LCTR_9.png

It took a while, but I finally got a shot of the Reading T1 without too many folks in the shot....

LCTR_10.png

The girls don't seem to mind their new temporary neighbors...

LCTR_11.png

Easy to tell that these old rails don't see the traffic they were built for.

LCTR_12.png

As we left for the day I grabbed this shot from the highway 21 overpass.

LCTR_13.png

All in all, A good day....

Johnny

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy, that diorama came out great, Johnny. Those circus cars should be the hit of the show. Wish I was there to see them in person. BTW, what do you use to hold all your little people in place?

Boy, that diorama came out great, Johnny. Those circus cars should be the hit of the show. Wish I was there to see them in person. BTW, what do you use to hold all your little people in place?

Hi Jim,

A lot of fun doing the thing. I planted my lil' folks with good ole acc. , tedious but worth the effort. I plan on ading another 300 of them to this diorama.

Johnny

Johnny - it's great to see this project you've been working on for the past few years in its 'natural' setting, and your abundant use of figures. I felt like I was walking right there, I could practically smell the cooking hot dogs and french fries! Had to laugh when I read the caption for the T-1 photo about "too many people in the shot", soooo typical at this type of public event!

Q: Did you buy your figures painted or "undressed"? I'll be needing several dozen for my future business district and am looking for ways to economize...

Q: Did you buy your figures painted or "undressed"? I'll be needing several dozen for my future business district and am looking for ways to economize...

Hi Ken,

I bought them all pre-painted. Ebay, I believe my search was HO figures. They are sold as a "buy it now" and I was pleasantly surprised with them. I purchased a 2 lots of 100 each for (I think) $19.95 + s&h! Un believable price for painted figures! I have seen them sold in lots of 300-500 for very reasonable $$. They are limited to about 18-19 different poses, but for the crowds I need, they work perfect. Great because there are NO bases to remove, couple of dabs of acc and action..........Be sure to get from seller that ships from USA for fast service. Mine arrived in less than 10 days!

Try this item #130295917103 in your search. You just multiply the amount per what you need.

Johnny

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, fantastic job, well done! It was fun to follow along as it came to life!
So what's the next project? :D

Back