First N Scale Layout

majordad

I am a brand new member to the forum. I am also new (2 months) to N Scale. I have owned the stuff for about 10 years but, it has been in boxes all that time.

I have built my bench work. It is a backwards L. The short leg of the L is a 3'x4' area and the long leg is 8'x30". I have room for another L at the same dimensions and can add a little more bench work to that if needed.

I am starting with the 3'x4' area. I want to model my yard before I build the main line. I have a turntable and a roundhouse and would like model a yard that would service both steam and diesel. I have one steam engine....a Kato Heavy Mikado 2-8-2, and two diesels...1 Lifelike F7 and the other is a Kato Alco RS-2.

I would like to look at some yards that others have modeled. I have already had some folks tell me that they didn't think 3'x4' was big enough for the turntable (Walthers 120' manual) and roundhouse (6 Bay Heljan). I am having a hard time believing that but, that is why I am posting on this forum. I want to get some ideas on what I can do. I have one loop that pretty much runs the outer perimeter of the 3'x4' area. I would like to let this loop be feeder to the mainline at some point. I guess it could also provide access to the staging area of the layout. I do appreciate your thoughts.....

If someone knows a site that has some good examples of what a train yard should look like, I would appreciate the link. Thanks

have fun building your N scale layout majordad. My layout, the "new" JJJ&E is a inverted "U' Shaped around the room layout in a train room 12x21' feet. An 18 foot yard and turntable (Walthers 130' turntable) with a 24 stall Roundhouse occupies one side of the layout. The turntable and Roundhouse occupies a 50x50" turnaround area. You can see photo's of the yard on my websites below. If you need help let me know. I'll be glad to answer your questions.

Below are photo's of my turntable and roundhouse. The yard is a replica of the Barstow yard in California in the late 1940's to early 1950's.

new_790.jpg

new_782.jpg

I found an article written by Walthers titled "Engine Servicing Facility" that I think addresses the subject fairly well. I would like to make a drawing and then scan it in for everybody to scrutinize and give me their thoughts. I will work on it some tonight and tomorrow.

I have a very modest layout, a 6 stall round house (heljan), turntable and switch yard. By having your yard take advantage of the diagonal length available one can make the most of limited table space. The have the roundhouse use one corner area to fit in the lead tracks and turntable. You can use the other corner, opposite the roundhouse for a town or whatever. Remember to leave room for a few (2 or 3) mainline tracks around the perimeter. These are just MY ideas, YOU are the railroad barron of YOUR railroad and can do as you please.

Back