First Kitbashing Project

CMMR

Here is my first attempt at kitbashing. I wanted to come close to duplicating a Pointe St. Charles caboose used on the CEMR, a short line that I am basing my layout on. I started with an Athearn wide vision caboose that I bought at a swap meet for $2. I fabbed up some parts out of styrene and used decals to simulate marker and ditch lights. It is definitely not as nice as an Athabasca kit, but close enough for me.
http://http://cmmr.shawwebspace.ca/pages/view/kitbashing_-_caboose/

Looks really good. I like the paint color. Excellent job on the first kitbash.

Its slowly coming along....lol. I am still working on the track plan, but life keeps getting in the way if you know what I mean. Hope to have a track plan drawn up later this week.

Well if you need it drawn to scale I can do up something in SolidWorks from your "napkin" sketch, as long as you have what radii you want. I only have Atlas #4 & #6 turnouts in my library right now though.

Hey Gary, that caboose turned out NICE! For decal paper, since you're looking for another brand, I'd recommend Bell decal paper HIGHLY. Prints nice and glossy, just like photo paper, available in white and clear both, as well as laser and ink jet, and goes on NICE. I use it for custom decals and am very happy with it. I print them on my Kodak ink jet with the settings set for glossy photo paper, best quality print, let the ink dry for a couple hours, then give it two good coats of Testors dull coat or gloss coat (depends on which look you prefer) and let it dry again overnight. It's great stuff.

Its slowly coming along....lol. I am still working on the track plan, but life keeps getting in the way if you know what I mean. Hope to have a track plan drawn up later this week.

You sound EXACTLY like me...I'm working on my track plan but keep getting stalled by other "stuff"...so what do I do...model something!:D:D:D At least then I can get my train fix.
Nice work BTW

Thanks again - I think I'll try it out. I've used Testors as well on some car models and found it to be pretty thin - seems to tear easily.

Back