First HO scale weathering job

nateL

Engineer
So I've decided to get into some HO stuff lately and have come to the conclusion that I reallllllyyy enjoy weathering and detailing HO scale stuff.

So heres a few pictures of my first attmept at HO scale weathering,

First photos are of my new NS SD60 that I HEAVILY weathered with a rust color, then the other photo is one of a hopper that I put a coat of rust on and then painted the bearings to make it look like theyve been replaced...the picture focuses on the bearings mostly...All was done with an airbrush (except for the bearings I hand brushed)

Let me know what you think? :D

perhaps it the pictures but i can't say i like the SD weathering. something looks not right. IMO it should not have the orange tint but dust instead. srry

perhaps it the pictures but i can't say i like the SD weathering. something looks not right. IMO it should not have the orange tint but dust instead. srry

Its okay lol, no offence taken. The look i was going for was a heavily rusted worn out look. I might have over done it. The paint i used was actually called "Rust"...do you think I shouldve used the Dust one?

I think what it might be is that I dont think theres an SD60 on earth that looks this rusted...espessially in NS paint. Is this the dust look your thinking of?

This is my n scale Dash 8-40 C I airbrushed with a dusty kinda color...?

Its okay lol, no offence taken.
good, as this wasn't the point really.
what is your goal? regardless it should not have the plastic shine (again, perhaps its the picture). i think that shine amplifies the unnatural redish tint.

This is my n scale Dash 8-40 C I airbrushed with a dusty kinda color...?

it still looks new and shiny really. is it me or your airbrush splatters a bit? (i see tiny paint drops on the trucks)

now, i'm not claiming i can do better. all my engines are in "just out of paint shop new" condition actually. but i want to take on weathering as well at some point so i'm looking around.
also i ordered a armor kit and while its making its way to my mailbox i'm reading up on painting and techniquies.
stumbled upon this page today.
i think the "filter" section is what you need.
http://missing-lynx.com/rareworld.htm

Nate,
You are off to a great start. There are 2 points that are the best way to start your weathering, 1) get prototype photos to look at as you go. You’ll never go wrong if you weather like that you see in the photos. 2) You need to work your weathering in layers.
The first thing you need to do is what Anton is saying - remove the sheen of the "new" model look and fad the paint. This layer will make the model look like it's been in the sun and faded the paint. This will also get rid of the sheen. I like to first spray the model with dulcote because first it helps remove the sheen from the model but most importantly it will add tooth so your paint will have something to cling to like primer.
Next I like to work in a dirt or earth color to apply a dirt layer like you get from running in a rain storm or something like that.
Next you keep doing it and you'll get it. I still have a big problem with adding to much weathering to my models but I hope to get a lighter hand as I do more.
Dave

I see that Railbuilder Dave has given you some useful tips, I'll expand a little bit on what he said.

First and foremost, if you want to weather something, you need to study a photo of the prototype - a similar one if not the exact unit. This will help you see what your finished model is supposed to look like.

Also in case you didn't know, there are dirt- and rust-colored powders available (AIM and Bragdon are two that come to mind) that you can apply, that will give you more control over the process. If you make a mistake, you can just rinse it off and start over - unlike paint.

Finally, you should probably acquire some leftover junk models to practice on, so you can develop the needed skills. It's best not to risk messing up a prized model when you're first starting out.

And as Cory mentioned, protoweathering.com is an excellent site with a lot of useful info for weathering beginners. Join that forum and share your work on there, you'll get feedback from people who've really mastered the art of weathering!

it still looks new and shiny really. is it me or your airbrush splatters a bit? (i see tiny paint drops on the trucks)

http://missing-lynx.com/rareworld.htm

Ah yea I see what you mean. I think thats just the way I had the lighting. Because in person theres no shine, everythings a flat color. Including the rust, which I do agree looks a bit too red. An no it doesnt splatter, what you see on the trucks I did myself with a brush...just splattered it a bit with a mud color.

Nate,
You are off to a great start. There are 2 points that are the best way to start your weathering, 1) get prototype photos to look at as you go. You’ll never go wrong if you weather like that you see in the photos. 2) You need to work your weathering in layers.
The first thing you need to do is what Anton is saying - remove the sheen of the "new" model look and fad the paint. This layer will make the model look like it's been in the sun and faded the paint. This will also get rid of the sheen. I like to first spray the model with dulcote because first it helps remove the sheen from the model but most importantly it will add tooth so your paint will have something to cling to like primer.
Next I like to work in a dirt or earth color to apply a dirt layer like you get from running in a rain storm or something like that.
Next you keep doing it and you'll get it. I still have a big problem with adding to much weathering to my models but I hope to get a lighter hand as I do more.
Dave

Thanks alot Dave! Ill keep all this in mind. And I did have photos with me of the prototype...I just felt like it was kinda too boring for my first weathering attempt :p I kinda wanted to really go for it at first and see what I was able to do with it....also, what exactly is a dulcote? And what do I look for when buying it...?

-Nate

Did you paint the blue on the end or the bearing for the hopper? That's a really cool looking detail.

Dave

That I did, Dave. I see it ALOT on the real thing so I figured id add it in. If im not mistaken, thats the color new bearings are after the old have been replaced...and since I made that hopper looker older than dirt, I figurd it could use a set of new bearings on all its wheels :D

-Nate

Nate,
Sorry about hte miss spelling but its Dullcote from Testers (http://www.testors.com/search?q=dullcote). The stuff is really good for taking off the sheen.

I'm doing the same as you and really pushing the weathering so much my stuff is way over done. I do it to the point that many say I've over done it and they don't look real but I like them and get a lot of complements. Here is an example of one I'm doing now and you can see it's way overdone. http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16954

Have fun, that's what a hobby is all about!!!!!

Dave

No big deal Dave, spelling doesnt really bother me :rolleyes:

Thanks fo the link on the dulcote, im going to have to get some soon

and that switcher looks pretty cool! I like the rust you put on the radiator screens. id love to get some conrail stuff to weather and detail.

Thanks again,

-Nate

Nate, that NS engine is a pretty good representation of how they look down here after the rainy season. The soil is all a rust red clay and the engines get covered in the stuff. I've been mixing a combination of orange and brown to replicate that color but the rust actually looks much closer to the real thing.

Back