First Graffiti attempt.

migalyto

The weathering thread motivated me to try this!

Here is my very first attempt to apply a graffiti decal. I didn't get it quite where i wanted it, but darn close. When i went to manipulate it closer, it wanted to start tearing, so i figured this is close enough. I believe for a first ever attempt it came out really well. The solveset really sucked it down in all the nooks. Weathering, and decals are something i really want to learn how to do. Any constructive criticism is always welcome.

4B5A835C-B326-4256-9F60-1FFE9BF2B7BF.jpeg

Looks good Mike. You did an excellent job getting it all to settle in. One comment though. Almost all graffiti starts from the very bottom of the railcar, due to it being easier to reach. Your artist would have to be extremely tall or use a ladder to reach that high. Although not the case in your car, prototypical graffiti also does not cover the reporting marks since it would be painted over very quickly. The artists[?] know this and don't want their work blemished.

EDIT: Looks like Ken covered my points while I was typing!

Looks good Mike. You did an excellent job getting it all to settle in. One comment though. Almost all graffiti starts from the very bottom of the railcar, due to it being easier to reach. Your artist would have to be extremely tall or use a ladder to reach that high. Although not the case in your car, prototypical graffiti also does not cover the reporting marks since it would be painted over very quickly. The artists[?] know this and don't want their work blemished.

EDIT: Looks like Ken covered my points while I was typing!
Thanks Willie,

I tried to get it lower, but still not obscure the reporting marks. I think the mistake i mage was putting a base of solveset down first before the application. It wanted to grab the decal instantly and started tearing. I was able to manipulate back. The decal was 5" long, and probably not the best choice for a first attempt.

I have heard or read somewhere that if you use distilled water it be more maneuverable and less prone to tearing. Anyone try this method?
I have not used distilled water, but I have very soft well water and have rarely had issues with decals. I find that it helps if I dip my finger into the water and rub the area for the decal first, movement is easier. Sometimes with very long decals, I cut them in half and apply the halves separately. Alignment is usually not an issue for me.

Mike, I think it looks very good. I wouldn't know it was your first attempt, if you hadn't said so. And thanks to those who pointed out that the graffiti should be lower. I never realized that before. Glenn

If you hadn’t said it was a decal I wouldn’t have known.

Things to do different next time.

Like mentioned above almost all graffiti starts at the very bottom edge of the car. Fill this one in as also mentioned. Maybe use a contrasting background/edging color to what is on the decal will work.

The height though isn’t bad. I watch a graffiti artist/vandal on YouTube. He packs his equipment in an ice chest and also uses that as a step so he can reach higher. Plus, his spray cans seem to have a booster because when he sprays it goes further then his reach. Interesting to watch.

I love it and it’s really super for a first attempt. My first attempt had the decal in many pieces. I now use decals from circuscitydecals.com and his graffiti decals don‘t seem as fragile as the ones I had from Microscale.

As for all the empty space still on the car. Don’t worry about it. Maybe add some tags (any squiggle qualifies as a tag) but not all Autoracks get complete graffiti. Some weathering to complete the car and you can always add additional graffiti.

I watch a few YouTube content providers who are Artist/vandals. There does as Ken and Willie wrote seem to be some honor among them. The more established do take honor/pride in not covering over the reporting marks and car number. By not covering the reporting marks and car numbers the better chance the rail Car owners will not remove their graffiti. That was mentioned in at least 2 videos I watched

As I mentioned I love it. Keep showing us you work as you progress

Edit. I see your profile says Mendota, Il. We always stop at Zigglies Family Restaurant when we go to Texas via St. Louis or when we go to Central Illinois or St. Louis. It’s 90 minutes away from us and it’s our first driver switch point. Are there better breakfast places in town?

Last edited:
I use the Micro set on the car so you can float the decal into place. If it starts to dry out before you get it in place you can add more to float it. I use a small paint brush to apply it. After it drys then use the solvaset of the Walthers solvaset. This is what dissolves the decal film and gets it to snug down on the car. That's why the decal started to tear, it was breaking down the film. If you have an airbrush or a rattle can of clear or dull coat you want to seal it after it drys.

Back