First dcc w/ sound

Gregjl

Hello, I'm going to have my first dcc w/ sound engine pretty soon (Bachmann Alco 2-6-0) and was wondering, exactly how loud is this thing? And in the event I annoy people in the next room can I just put a piece of painter's tape over the speaker? I'm assuming there's no volume control.

Thanks

Here you go. If you have a DCC controller, you can turn the sound down. My layout is all DC and here's the locomotive.

[video=youtube;Y7zO8kdjGGA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7zO8kdjGGA&t=123s[/video]

I have no control over the sound using DC only, but everything is pre programmed into the locomotive. One thing I will say is that it is a wimp if you have any grades on your layout. These two passenger cars are just about at the limit for this locomotive on a 2% grade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most sound-equipped scale locomotives come with factory settings. That does mean loud. The first thing I do is to change the address (they are all "03" from the factory) to the number on the cab. Then I enter Ops Mode (or also called, "programming on the main"), and reduce the sound level to half of the setting permitted in the "Master Volume" CV. From there I tailor the individual sounds to my preference, and sometimes fiddle with the chuff rate to ensure the synch between the rods cycling and the four chuffs per driver revolution.

Just a hint for future reference: this won't be your last locomotive. As soon as you have a second, and then others, the sound will drive you bonkers. They all compete with each other for your attention because none of them is more than 10 feet away from you on most layouts. If sound scaled, it would be fine, but it doesn't. Like water flowing on a layout, it moves much too fast, and for sound, it's much too loud for the real scale distance your ears and eyes are from the locomotive as you tower over it...or them. That is why most of us learn to reduce the master volume by at least 50% right off the bat...from whatever the factory defaults are. I tend to go even lower, and my bell, hisses, blow-downs, injectors, and pop-offs that take place on most decoders randomly, are usually set near 25% because they are repeatedly endlessly, often, and annoyingly. The bell because, at the apparent distance, I'd barely be able to hear it.

It's your responsibility to figure out how to get the most enjoyment from the hobby, and fiddling with all CV's that the operator can modify (some econo decoders, such as the one likely to be in your Bachmann steamer) have minimal operator control), is a must during that taking on of responsibility. If you undertake it early and fiddle, it will become second nature quickly. If you screw something up, just perform a factory default reset, often CV8 to a value of "08". Never forget to cycle the power after you perform the reset. Shut off power to the rails and then restore it, and your reset will be solid.

Crandell, I believe that he could be operating DC, but I could be wrong. I will have to comment on the volume. The little mogul is a tad loud as far as I am concerned. For me it is a bit of a novelty. My son, who doesn't know a thing about model railroading got it for me as a gift as he does know that I like small steamers.

I have operated on a couple of huge layouts that are of course DCC controlled and many of the operators did have the volume up way too high. During one session we had over 20 trains operating at one time and for me the sound became annoying after a while. With dispatchers barking orders at operators and with so many of the locomotives having the sound turned up too high, it took quite a bit of work to keep focused on your train. Even after the dispatchers asked operators to turn down their volume, it was still annoying.

I can see on or two at a time, but with that many, no thank you. I do have a couple of other DCC with sound locomotives. One is a BLI heavy mike I picked up because I really liked the looks of it. It too is also a bit loud. I ended up unplugging one of the speaker wires. I also picked up a Bachmann Alco S-4 because it was painted for the Milwaukee Road and was a nicely detailed locomotive. That one isn't too loud.

I like to have a radio on the my train room and usually don't run the sound locomotives unless visitors may want to go down and see them run. They're more of a novelty for me.

Chet, if you know someone who operates with DCC, that person can turn down the Master Volume and you can re-connect the sound to see if that reduction makes it more enjoyable. As I stated, I can't stand having more than two sounding locomotives on the layout at one time. Thankfully, a lot of my stable are QSI-equipped, and those decoders have a really nifty feature not apparently reproduced since on more modern companies' decoders: the Mute Function can be regulated to anywhere from 50% of current set volume to zero...no sound...fully muted. I turn mine well down so that, if I want less noise, but not to physically isolate or remove locos on the rails to achieve it, I simply acquire each decoder in turn on the throttle and mute them. Of course, QSI's can also be placed into a coma where they issue no sounds and do nothing but await your order for them to wake up, but that's a little different.

I urge you to consider this test...get your Master Volume reduced via a DCC system setting, say down to 40% of the maximum range for that decoder and CV, and then play with it for a while. You may find it to be not only tolerable (which would hardly be a good reason to do everything necessary to achieve it), but actually much more fun and pleasant. I find that with this adjustment, the more distant locomotives don't clamour so much for attention.

I wasn't aware that our friend might only be in DC. I don't really know if this is true for the loco/decoder in question, but some decoders have a potentiometer on them that allows one to manually adjust the volume.

Thanks Everybody, I had to step out for a minute. My track is Dcc, the engine should show up with some instructions and I'm happy to hear the settings are adjustable. My dcc controller is also Bachmann so that should work out if anything's going to.

Most sound locos have an adjustment somewhere accessed somehow in dc.
As you said the instructions will say how to in dcc as well.
I keep my locos volume turned way down so they're heard at trackside and not across the room.
As Crandall sez it will drive you bonkers!

Crandell - I have no other model railroaders in my area that I know of. I do have some very good friends in Missouri with huge layouts, and one of them is a DCC guru. He did add DCC and sound to one of my old brass locomotives that I bring with me when we visit. I think I'll take the few DCC locomotives with me next year when we visit and have him turn down the sound. Again, for me sound really isn't a necessity. Like you, more than a couple running at one time can drive you nuts.

The engine arrived, it's not too loud. Volume control is available just like Everyone here said but I didn't get into it because it's already at a nice level. And wow is this thing nice!

I am very pleased to learn that you YOU are pleased. :cool: I do still think that you are about 99% likely to get at least one other DCC/sound locomotive, though, probably within six months to a year, and when both of them compete for the listening universe within about six feet of each other, you'll probably find that you have found your limit...or you'll start reducing their volumes even more. That's where I like the QSI's with their tunable mute function.

I hope your new steamer gives you many hundreds of hours of pleasure.

BLI Paragon uses a quick and easy volume adjustment also. 1 normal click of F8 mutes or restarts the sound. Double clicking F8 like a mouse takes it down through 8 steps of volume. Continuing to double click brings it back up again to full.

Hello All, I can't seem to keep this thing on the track. ( the Alco 260) it's not the track because I put the FT-A on and it's fine. It's the guide wheels that pop off in the beginning of almost every turn. I've tried taking them off just to see and that's no good. The spring there seems to be so weak that even the most minor imperfection throws them right off. Could that be? Maybe a stronger spring would hold the wheels down? Or is there a right answer.

Thanks, Greg

Back