Finishing a Rail power products GP-35 on a modified Athearn GP-35 frame ?

I finished securing the frame to the shell on the GP-35 Athearn modified frame and RPP GP-35 that I converted into a high hood with Cannon & Co high hood ends. I used Kadee #5 couplers and trimmed them to the spring. Here a few photo's .
20200318_182411.jpg
20200318_182420.jpg
20200318_182429.jpg
20200318_182504.jpg
20200318_182621.jpg

I added .030" sheet styrene to the inside of the walkways you can see it by the couplers both ends and added 3 more on each side just 1" sections two in the long hood walkway both sides , one just behind the cab and built another thicker one for the deeper side with the blower. I didn't need to I felt it offered more support for the frame. I used the Athearn cab because the RPP cab I felt was not detailed enough. Now I need to secure the cab in place. I glued 1/4" square styrene even with the bottom of the cab and square so it keeps the cab ends from bowing in as many do and will secure it with two 1-72 screws one on each side so I can remove the cab if I need to usually I glue the cab in place which I may do later on. I added the .030" which is less than 1/32" because I felt the frame sat in to deep and made it more difficult to fit any coupler without filing another .030" from the top of the shells coupler openings and now it's the same height as the Athearn GP38-2 and SD40-2.

I'm looking forward to seeing it done. What road will it be?

I'm not sure , I made it a high hood since I like high hoods so perhaps Norfolk & Western or Southern or even any road name since it doesn't need to be real. Not many rail roads exist any longer as least not from what I recall seeing as youth living in Chicago and near Chicago where I would see all sorts of rail road names pass through. Used to take the C&NW pulled by an E8 and the double deck cars were a common sight. I still recall the last of the steam loco's running with in eye sight from the very first house my father a carpenter built , then the sound of Diesel horns took over. My father was a real rail road fan.

Back