Finger Lakes Scenic Railway in action.

rhoward

S.L.O.&W. Trainman
While at what was the yard in Canandaigua, we were blessed by the local freight that happened along:

FGLK17033w.png

FGLK17031w.png

FGLK17032w.png

FGLK17034w.png

FGLK17035w.png

FGLK17036w.png

Ray, nice detail shots. From a distance, that almost looks like 40 years ago with an NYC GP-7 hauling a local. What's the speed limit on that line? Looks like the tracks are a little worse for wear.

Ray, nice detail shots. From a distance, that almost looks like 40 years ago with an NYC GP-7 hauling a local. What's the speed limit on that line? Looks like the tracks are a little worse for wear.

Last year they replaced a lot of the ties in the other end of the yard - over by the old Lisk Enamelware plant (The building at the upper left of the first photo. Before that I think they were using a 3 mph speed limit there. They had a derailment when a rail collapsed which was the reason for the upgrades. This end is not much better although I would say they were doing between 5 and 10 mph as they went by. There isn't a whole lot left in some of the ties......:eek:

They only have 1 or 2 industries that they service on this branch and run a train once a week here I think. FGLK SRW inherited some very old and poorly maintained trackage. They have upgraded and repaired a lot of miles of track. They also have very railfan friendly crews that always smile and wave to people. They have proven to the communities that they serve that they are "good neighbors".

Back