Finally got my prototype design ready!

RFANDPVILLE

I am really excited here! I got my prototype design made for my private road name "The New O & A" here in Virginia celebrating 150 years since the Civil War ended is a big deal. We have Norfolk southern running around with all their beautiful Heritage Units but in the Virginia Piedmont, The Orange and Alexandria reigned supreme during the Civil War. I've introduced what I call a "Legacy Unit" to commemorate The war's end. I just wanted to show it to you. Back in the olden days they used to name locomotives and a famous locomotive was named for one of railroading's pioneers, General Herman Haupt. He made bridges and tunnels. The original locomotive was operated by the USMRR. It was a 4-4-0 configuration. Today, I have picked a modern SD70Ace the "General Herman Haupt II" numbered 1865, the year the war ended.
Once I get the locomotive painted it will have DCC and sound.

1208611_10151629780602883_148463029_n.jpg

The logo I chose, since the O &A existed before railroad heraldry existed, is just basically the town seals of Orange and Alexandria with a crossbucks in the middle.

Very cool, you sound excited.

How are you gonna decal that? Are you making your own custom decals? Which Ace? MTH or Athearn?

I hadn't decided which brand to use. Obviously I will have the decals custom made. I think everyone says the airbrush part is easy, the two tone paint shouldn't e hard to do but this will be my pride and joy. I will have several others up to 10 named after generals on both sides in the war. Then I will have an oddball locomotive named for "Fat Nancy" she used to wave to the passing trains before the trestle fell down in Orange Va just after the war.

Tell me more about the Differences, other than price between the Athearn and the MTH how's the reliability and average lifespan?

I prefer the MTH Aces. They pull like Clydesdale on steroids. They sound better because they have two speakers, Athearn only has one. And MTH has LEDs, Athearn still uses standard bulbs. Also MTH has flashing ditch lights, Athearn doesn't.

I have 4 MTH Aces and they are my best locomotives.

Go with Athearn, great detail, and they do have flashing ditch lights for road specs that have em like CSX,NS. The Athearns run Tsunami sound,and you will really enjoy having one, You can't go wrong with an Athearn ACe.

Back