Figuring grade..

Goldnut.. If there happens to be a curve within the incline, it adds drag to the train causing train to behave as if climbing a steeper grade. The tighter the radius the more the drag. If your initial calculation is, say 2.5 %, the curve will make train behave as if it's a, say, 3% grade or more...On the other hand, if you only run short trains (loco/4-7 cars) this may not be a concern.. M

I think I may be able to keep the grade increase limited to the straight run but if not this is information I will keep in mind. My trains will just be short for now but over time I imagine that will change. I will try to plan accordingly. Thank you

FYI. My radii will be 63" and 72"
The calculation here isn't particularly difficult, you get roughly 98.96" per 90 degrees of curve. So, over the course of 90 degrees, .9 inches is roughly 1 percent increase in grade. So, if you keep it to no more than 2.5 inches of rise, you'd be within the 2.5% grade window for that portion of the track.

EDIT: That's for the 63" radius. For the 72" radius, the formula is 2*pi*72 * .25 so, 113" or so, so about 1 1/8 inch for a percent increase in grade.

Even with heavily weighted 2-8-8-2's, getting 30 cars up a 2.5% grade is a task. I actually REMOVED the weights on all my hoppers and just switched to Jay-Bee wheelsets so the weight was at the bottom of the cars.

Is there a calculation to figure grade? Will it depend on my engine size?

Not on engine size, but on traction. Our scale locomotives have a surprising amount of power, so power is almost never a problem, even on steep hills. The real problem is traction. If you hold a locomotive down tight to the rails with something like another pound or two over its own weight, and dial up the voltage or speed steps, it will almost certainly spin its drivers. But that's just it....it spins. The same thing happens on grades.

I predict you will find that, with a compensated grade (meaning with curve) of 6%, your locomotive will barely be able to get itself up the slope. It and one or two properly weighted and free-rolling cars.

Goldnut, I don't know where this 6% grade stuff is coming from..Please explain .. We've spelled out the dangers of 3% or more..You seemed to have gotten that...Then you lay the 6% thing on us.. What on earth are you yappin' about ?! Where's the logic in that ?!
This will be my final reply to this thread..It's gotten insane !

Goldnut, I don't know where this 6% grade stuff is coming from..Please explain .. We've spelled out the dangers of 3% or more..You seemed to have gotten that...Then you lay the 6% thing on us.. What on earth are you yappin' about ?! Where's the logic in that ?!

Please take the time to read all the YAPPIN I have done through this post and you may find out that I said I will try to stay within the 2-2.5% grade. I do believe that someone else mentioned 6%. Not I.
I really do appreciate all your help though.

I tossed in the 6%... I did some quick figuring for the N scale layout I’m planning. I was thinking I need to rise 3” in 60” of track with a 13” radius. But I think I can work with that to make the numbers a bit more favorable. Sorry for kind of hijacking the thread.

The Grade Calculators on my web site (mention by Burlington Bob in Post #6) use equations that take into account the difference between straight grades and curved grades. The equations for curved grades in both HO and N-scale were empirically derived by model railroaders, including John Allen and John Armstrong, who actually measured the effort required to pull trains up curved grades as compared to pulling trains up straight grades.

- Jeff

Back