Feeders are "buzzing" on DCC layout

abowen

Hello,

I have a small layout, first built with DC (no buzzing) and then upgraded to DCC. I'm using all Kato track and have isolated the 4 rails leaving all of my turnouts, I have several feeder joiners and feeder track sections. There are two or three feeders/feeder joiners that emit a faint buzzing sound when I turn on track power (Digitrax Zephyr Express), but other feeders and feeder joiners are silent. The feeders are connected to opposite sides of my power bus. I've swapped feeders, made new connections to power bus, tried different pieces of track, but the buzzing sound remains in the same track location. Am I being super critical or is this something I should track down? Thanks.

I find it interesting that different feeders and different pieces of track don't make a difference.

I presume there is no short circuit, and a train will run.

Thanks for the reply IH. Yes, trains run without issue. I've also temporarily pulled all wiring aside, as far as possible, to see if there was interference and that didn't change anything. More detail on the swap: I've swapped an S62 feeder section with an S248 straight with feeder joiners and connected those to opposite side of power bus with no change in buzzing sound. If I disconnect that piece of track from the layout and keep the feeders connected, it still buzzes. I think that means this is electrical interference and I could tidy up all the wiring underneath the layout and still have this issue.

It sounds like you have a resonance issue , either mechanical , or electrical . Pictures and a diagram of the wiring would help.
Just as a precaution , turn off the lights tonight and close all the doors and windows ...and then look for arc flashes .

It sounds like you have a resonance issue , either mechanical , or electrical . Pictures and a diagram of the wiring would help.
Just as a precaution , turn off the lights tonight and close all the doors and windows ...and then look for arc flashes .

I did exactly that and it fixed my problem. Thanks!

I re-did my bus cable using terminal blocks. I still used 16 gauge wire but abandoned suitcase connectors entirely. Are you experiencing a similar issue?

Just one word of caution about using suitcase connectors. Be positive that the connectors you are using are designed for the wire size you are using for feeders. Don't be tempted to use the wrong size suitcase connector(s) even through it appears that you have a solid connection. Suitcase connectors work great, if properly sized for the wire being used.

Back