Favourite freight car

Rico

BN Modeller
I’ve been going thru a lot of boxes making to-keep and to-go lists.
In the process I’m finding cars I’d forgotten I had which got me thinking about which ones are my favourites.
Im going to have to go with the Accurail 2000 series three bay covered hoppers.
They're affordable, easy to assemble, have a decent amount of detail, great paint and graphics, and the weight is about perfect in my opinion.
Let us know what’s your favourite car and why!

E0E0E629-FDB0-4299-B583-78C154214E79.jpeg

Tough one to decide so the 2 I would say is the Intermountain 4750 covered hopper. Nice detail and roll good. The other would be (and they don't make them anymore) is the Walthers 4 truck depressed flatcar and 4 truck flatcar. All metal car good by itself or with a load.
IMG_3834.jpg
IMG_3069.jpg

In the process I’m finding cars I’d forgotten I had which got me thinking about which ones are my favourites.
Mine is easy. At a swap meet I picked up a traditional green Minneapolis and St Louis 40' wooden box car. Wooden in both senses of the word. Was obviously built from some Craftsman kit in the distant pass. It has wire grab irons and door hardware. Wooden roof walk and vertical brake wheel. It has real sprung trucks and side doors that actually open. Inside is a real wooden plank floor not just the top of a chunk of wood used for the base.

Two unfortunatelys. First is that I don't have a picture of it. Second is that I used it on a Christmas layout in the office and the office manager got a burr under her saddle about cleaning up the day after, and just threw it in a box. I think it will take major work to repair it.

Back