favorite manufacturer?

hoboblues75

Model Rail Rider
Do people have favorite manufacturers (Bachmann, Atlas, etc.) or do you just mix and match? Are some more reliable than others? Better detailed? etc. etc. etc...

Kato engines are very good, although the handrail details tend to be a bit thick, and they're pricy. Avoid Bachmann like the plague in N scale; bad detailing, short life, generally crummy. The same goes for cheaper Life-Like models. Ask the hobby shop guy if it's DCC-ready; if not it's probably one of their cheap POS models, with a gigantic pancake motor and questionable gears. I have a Life-Like EMD of some model (unsure) which looks great from the outside, but inside is different from their $35 models only in that it has flywheels. Some models look amazing but have questionable machinery.

I can vouch for Model Power's steam engines. I have one of their 462 Pacific semi-streamliners, and it runs well/looks good. They aren't totally DCC friendly though, it's got two wires (cables, right?) between the engine and the tender going to the headlight I installed. To install the LED headlight I had to cut up a weight, trim the plastic light pipe... good engine, tough conversion.

I haven't heard much either way about Atlas, Walthers, etc. As a general rule, if it's under $60 MSRP, if it doesn't mention DCC compatibility, avoid it. If you cheap out, you'll drive yourself mad trying to fix crummy engines.

Interesting... thank you both. My Christmas wishlist is forming and I want to try to get some pieces that will last. Looks like I will be taking a hard look at Atlas products.

Locomotives: Kato, Atlas, Athearn, Intermountain, in that order.
Rolling stock: Micro-Trains, Intermountain, Athearn, Atlas, in that order. There are some manufacturers of rolling stock that also have good stuff, but look it over before buying.
Track (pre-fab): Kato Unitrack
Track (sans roadbed): Micro Engineering, Atlas
Structures (pre-fab): Walthers built ups
Structures (build your own): DPM, Walthers Cornerstone
Power packs (DC): MRC Tech 2/4
Power command stations (DCC): Varies, depending on what you want to do.

does anyone like bachmann anything? They seem like such a giant in the industry. Are they just the "walmart" of trains?

I have a few Bachmann Plus engines that I really like. It seems like some of their newer stuff runs pretty well, and can benefit even more from a tuneup. My Bachmann GS-4 that I bought back around 2000 is still running like a champ. Their Spectrum line locomotives are very nice.

Most of my stuff is Athearn. Their engines and cars are very easy to come by, and the price is good too. I would say that 90% of my rolling stock are Athearn. Most of the Athearn engines are just blue box, but they all have had tuneups to where they run quieter. I do have a couple Genesis locomotives, and I am pretty satisfied with them.

I'm starting to fall in love with Proto 2000 locomotives though. They run very smooth and quiet (at least the newer ones). The detail on them is excellent as well. I have a pretty good product mix from them, ranging from SDs to SWs.

I bought a Broadway Limited SD40-2 last Christmas (for myself), which came with sound in it. That engine is a trooper, it pulls a lot of cars, and will take the abuse of my 3% grade.

I have one KATO locomotive (SD40-2), and it is very finicky...likes to derail a lot. When I took it apart, I noticed that the internal parts were very similar in design, if not the same, to the Broadway locomotive. The major difference was how the trucks were mounted to the frame. A piece was binding, so I had to do a little cutting to get the trucks to move more freely, and so they would not derail. The problem was solved, but I was scratching my head as to why it was necessary.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I will be happy to help.

Proto 2000 and BLI have been the best engines I have owned. both in detail, pulling power and ease of maintence and repair. Both can be had for cheep if you shop around. The sound that BLI has is very good for its cost and the Paragon like is very real.

I like the detail that Bachman has but I have had a 50-50 shot of getting a loco that has a motor that will last longer than a year

Athearn.... I own about 5 and they are all BB so cant comment on the new stuff. I liked the BB 10 years ago for cost and running on DC but they are all shelved now that I run DCC only... the old BB engines just dont like DCC IMO....

My Bachmann 44-Tonner runs well enough. I understand they run even better if you swap in a better decoder, but I am pleased so far after 3 months of light use.

- Jeff

Athearn and Atlas are the best.
Kato is also exceptional, and Walthers is excellent.
BLMA is wonderful too.
They all have excellent items coming out. I recommend a mix of all of them for your modern HO layout.

I like the detail that Bachman has but I have had a 50-50 shot of getting a loco that has a motor that will last longer than a year

Athearn.... I own about 5 and they are all BB so cant comment on the new stuff. I liked the BB 10 years ago for cost and running on DC but they are all shelved now that I run DCC only... the old BB engines just dont like DCC IMO....

I am the same way, but with the gears in the trucks. I haven't had any motor trouble yet (knock on wood).

I found that my Athearn BB engines improved when I put decoders into them. Digitrax has the motor silencer feature that really helps keep the noise down. If you clean out and lube up the trucks, she'll start running like a dream. Although, admittedly, some engines don't vastly improve afterward, which is due to something that happened to them at the factory.

interesting that so many people are running DCC. It intimidates the hell out of me as a novice.
If you ever wish to run more than one locomotive at the same time, DCC is simpler than DC. The wiring is simpler, and actual operation is simpler.

- Jeff

Edit... I just noticed this was a question Raised for N scale... I was basing my opinion on the HO locos I own... sorry about that...

Regarding DCC

IMO One of the best things to come in the model RR hobby in the last 50 years has been DCC. even tho it may add complexity to the locos it simplifies the layout wireing. I would rather take a loco apart to fix an issue than sit under the layout for an hour trying to find a issue. and remember DCC locos dont need to have expencive decoders to operate. a cheep $15 decoder can operate 3 or 4 basic functions just as the $50 decoders will. It just wont have all the options,sound and function etc....

interesting... I will be DC at first just because that is what I have but the sound and multiple trains (although I can't see myself running more than 2 due to size restrictions) do seem to be tempting.

I have a fairly small layout. I can run one train around the looped main and switch industrys with a 2nd loco. I often take the 2nd loco out on the main and into a siding before the first loco makes it back around. The beauty of DCC is that there are no toggles to mess with. If I was to do this with a DC layout I would have to throw about 4 or 5 toggles just to do the same task.. IMO thats alot of BS to mess with when trying to enjoy the layout with smooth running.

Even small 4x8 layouts will benifit with DCC. Dont be scared of the inital cost in the long run its cheeper and the enjoyment of the options DCC comes with will make life much better.

Back