Fastrack

USMARINES1469

Is the new fastrack system all its cranked up to be? I remember always using the tubular system when I was a little kid, is there any significant difference?

Are you talking about this?

www.handlaidtrack.com

If so, I can tell you that I don't have first hand knowledge of it, but have heard a lot of good reviews of it from other people. There's discussions about it from time to time on the Model Railroader forums.

The only down side to the Fast Tracks system is the initial cost of the template and other tools you need to start building. You can build a single turnout for only a few dollars, but you have a pretty hefty initial investment up front.

I've never heard any real negative about the system other than the initial cost.

Hi. Probably the general complaint about Fast Tracks is, apart from the initial cost if you really only want or need 3-8 of the turnouts, is the lack of detail. The skeleton of each turnout is the PCB ties, which understandably won't have tie plate details. Even then, the rather convenient flex-ties that each package contains, which are laser cut thin plywood, and very good, do not have any real detail.

I have built a number of the standard Code 100 #8 turnouts for HO, as well as two #6 double-slips. They are very good, very slick very reliable, and generally look and function very well trainwise. Someone who wants more details would be better off with commercial or with Central Valley.

If you are not currently proficient at making handlaid turnouts, and would like to be, the Fast Tracks system will teach you how to make what you need, even custom ones that are unique. However, Kalmbach will have pdf articles by authors who tell you how to make turnouts from scratch for much less.

.... However, Kalmbach will have pdf articles by authors who tell you how to make turnouts from scratch for much less.

Yeah, there's a very good tutorial on how to do this in the Kalmbach (Model Railroader magazine) book "Trackwork and Lineside Details."

Back