Fast Tracks vs Atlas Turnouts

Burlington Bob

Due to the lack of a timetable for Atlas Code 55 turnouts, I'm considering making my own using Fast Tracks jigs. A quick look at their website shows that the jigs are recommended to use MicroEngineering track. I want to know what the difference between Atlas and ME code 55 track is. Would it be noticeable where the track meets, a different profile, is it like Peco Code 55 (which is really code 80 buried in the ties), etc? I haven't seen Peco or ME track in person, only read about them.

Also, if you only had one size turnout to use on a fair size N scale layout, what would it be? Thanks, Bob.

I use Fast Tracks in HO.
The HO scale ME track does not match Atlas well.
The height is the same however, the profile of the rail is smaller on the ME track.
Joining the track is a little difficult being that Atlas rail joiners are a little too big for the ME track and the ME joiners are way small for Atlas track..
I ended up soldering mine.

If you take your time Fast Tracks turnouts are very smooth.
The only problem I have with Fast Tracks is that they are pricey and the wait time.
Right now the wait time for a jig is between 4 to 8 weeks.

The FT jigs are good, produce uniform turnouts and are surprisingly easy to build. Only drawback is in price. But if you have a layout's worth of turnouts to build, they can be worth the price. A good size to get would be a #6 jig. After you've laid several of these, you can even make your own jig using a full size print out from the FT website, and make any size turnout you want or need. You'll have to file the points freehand, but that isn't hard.

Thanks guys. I figured there'd be a hitch to mating ME and Atlas Code 55. Can't something be easy, just once? I agree, they are mighty proud of their jigs but I guess they could be worth it. I've watched their video and they make it sound so easy. Probably would be after a while, just like anything, practice makes perfect. I considered these once before but the price kept me from it. Now the loooooonnnng wait from Atlas has me thinking about them again. I plan on doing some more research as soon as I get the chance.............the job I'm working now means I have to get up at 3:45AM. That means it's time for me to get to sleep!

Back