Fast Tracks turn out problems

rzw0wr

Newbie Switchman
Gaps.jpg

I am trying to make Fast Tracks #8 turnouts.
Everything goes well until I get to the switch points.
When I try to make the switch point rail this is what I get.
The straight rail appears to be the worse.
In the videos and printed documentation it all shows the point and the stock rail in line and closed up.
When I try to push the points over to line up the rails start to bow.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Dale

Yes, and it might be due to how you place your points rail in the tool, if you are using Warris' points-filing tool. If you are doing it by hand, work the file about 20 strokes further back from the tip, say one-half inch back to an inch-and a half. The bulge back near 3/4" is what is keeping your points rail from closing properly.

I am using the point filing tool from Fast tracks.
The points look very much like the points on the paper template.

No matter where I set the rail in the jig. I get the same thing.

Dale

Never mind me .. But I have built many by hand years ago.
Looks to me as if the point rails and stock rails both need filing back more .. Is that a left hand or right hand turn out?

Sherrel, That is what it looks like to me also.
However, Fast Tracks says that is the angle I am supposed to have.

I am using the 1 they sent me with my kit.
It is marked #8 and I use the points end.
It worked great for the frogs.

I am using the 1 they sent me with my kit.
It is marked #8 and I use the points end.
It worked great for the frogs.

All I can suggest is you watch the video again and verify you are using the tool correctly. I had some problems making the first couple of my turnouts but I had problems with the frog, none with the points.

I got a reply from Fast Tracks today.
They suggest I bend the points to fit.
Hmmmmmm
Then why buy a filing jig?

I tired a small bend in the point.
Works fine as far as I can tell so far.

It does not take much and needs to be back about to where the rail head is filed.

Problem appears to be solved.

Thanks for the replies.
Dale

Thank you fcwilt.
This is big fun.

Well it's good that you find it fun!

Every time I start working on one I get a bit stressed wondering if I'm gonna screw it up - at 63 the eyes aren't so great and the hands aren't so steady. I needed some code 83 #6 double cross-overs and they are complicated. A fellow member here was building and selling them and his work looked top notch - so I chickened out and order them from him - what a relief. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
fcwilt, I am 65 soon to be 66.
I shake and I can't see for anything.
I got some magnifying glasses at Walmart so I can do close work.
My street glasses just would not do it.
I don't think I would try double crossovers the first time either.

I am trying to figure out if I need to do Step 12 or not now.
My entire turnout has the same continuity. It is all hot and I can't figure out why.

Dale

Dale, Once you get the hang of the FT, you'll find that with tools as simple as a set of files, or as robust as a bench mounted belt sander, that you'll be able to build ANY turnout, crossing, odd numbered turnout, etc freehand, without the jig. That's when handlaying track gets to be fun!

Dale, Once you get the hang of the FT, you'll find that with tools as simple as a set of files, or as robust as a bench mounted belt sander, that you'll be able to build ANY turnout, crossing, odd numbered turnout, etc freehand, without the jig. That's when handlaying track gets to be fun!

That's just crazy talk! ;)

Back