failing power pack

botangles

I have a small layout 10'x 5' and use Tech 4 MRC 280 dual. Bought it last year and everything worked great. Haven't used it for 6 months as I run G scale in the summer. Just tried it now and it's producing half the volts it was last year. Tried 6 different engines with the same results. The unit is a year old. But this unit was stored accidently close to a few small magnets just an inch or so away. Would this affect the power packs power output? Thanks.

The power was tested last April just before putting it away and all engines ran good. The power pack was then put in it's box unplugged for the summer. The track and layout where covered and untouched. And yes there was a close lightning strike in August, about a block or two away. How would that affect an unplugged power pack, and can it be repaired if that is the problem? Thanks.

A block or 2 away isn't that close, and unplugged, it would virtually have to hit the pack to affect it. Another possible reason could be corrosion somewhere in the pack.....was the area it was stored in damp/humid. It's also a little unusual for both sides of a dual pack to go bad......I'm assuming both sides have the problem? Anything can be fixed.......the question would be what it would cost vs the cost of a new pack.

Could you be getting low voltage from your electrical outlet? If you haven't already eliminate any problems at your wall outlet and then check the rest of the wiring from your power supply to the track, etc. You may have wiring that isn't making full contact and is causing the voltage drop.

Checked other outlets in the house with same results and the controller was stored in a dry place with no corrosion, checked the wiring, all seems good and dry as nothing changed for 6 months that way.The track it totally clean as it was covered. It is both sides that are powered down the same way. The controllers read 10 to 100 on this unit. For example last year the engines would start moving at 10 to 15 now they start at 30 to 40. I would reach a typical speed of 50 mph at 50 to 60 on the controller last year, now it's 90 to 100 full throttle. Would probably cost $30 to $50 just for someone to look at it. They go new for about $60. It has a warranty but $20 to get it shipped. Bottomline, I'll limp through for the time being as I can still hit 50 mph at full throttle, the unit might just stop working soon, then I'll consider the options. Thanks for everyones help and input!!

I'm fairly new to HO scale so everything I own was bought new about 1 1/2 years ago. Checked all engines before putting is storage in April and all ran flawless. 4 Atlas Silver engines and 2 Intermountain engines. Stored in a dry dustless environment all summer. The 2 slowest are the Intermountain F9A and powered B unit together pulling 5 passenger cars. Just checked at 100% throttle did 60 MPH. The Atlas engines at full throttle pulling 10 cars will do 65 MPH. That's JUST enough power now. Hopefully the power pack doesn't lose any more power. Thanks again!!

Have you actually taken a meter reading of the output voltage ? Is it actually the power pack or just your engines from sitting ?

I know my engines will all run considerably slower after having sat dormant for a long period of time. Engines that normally start to move on speed step 1 (using DCC), won't start moving until speed step 5 or 6 ! After about an hour of running, they seem to warm up / loosen up and run as they should. I honestly don't know what causes that, but that's been my experience.

Mark.

I have a 5-50 volt meter but a cheap one with just a light indicator, not a number readout. Have only run each engine about 5 minutes so far after 6 months storage, so maybe more running they will improve. Having said that, when I bought them they all ran great right out of the box, they would have been in the boxes for months probably. Very little run time on any of these engines, about 2 hours each from new. All your comments are greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

Have you actually taken a meter reading of the output voltage ? Is it actually the power pack or just your engines from sitting ?

I know my engines will all run considerably slower after having sat dormant for a long period of time. Engines that normally start to move on speed step 1 (using DCC), won't start moving until speed step 5 or 6 ! After about an hour of running, they seem to warm up / loosen up and run as they should. I honestly don't know what causes that, but that's been my experience.

Mark.

Could be similar to the reasons why we pace our brand-new locos right out of the box before we let them tear around the track full-bore with a giant string. My SD9 sat in its box for about a year until reecently and had the same "stiffness" that you describe.

Back