EZ Track Turnout Extending Wiring

EngaugeAndGo

I guess Bachmann assumes everyone builds tiny layouts 'cause the wiring for their EZ remote turnouts is about 18 in. They do have 10' extenders but shaw, I need maybe three feet total for my two "distant" turnouts. Worse, they're out of stock everywhere and they cost an arm and a leg. SO...I figure I can splice things. Do the wires have to be a special wiring gauge? Or is it good enough to just splice similarly thin wires? The wires look like single strand.

Thanks. I went on their site and it says 28 gauge. Evidently that's hobby wire and the closest I could come is 20 gauge doorbell wire. I'm hoping that'll work.

Once, I procured a large lot of EZ track and set up a layout around all the bedrooms and hallway. The only terminal tracks I had were the trainset steel ones so made my own. I drilled some holes in the roadbed next to the rails and in the side of the roadbed. I used automotive hookup wire, probably 14 gauge. I made three of them and was able to run 100+ car trains. Well, at least until the rest of the family came home from their trip.

Back