Experiment with photo paper

Thanks Gary. I figure the biggest knock against using paper products is moisture. If you can seal the paper so it won't be affected then it makes complete sense to me to print a lot 'stuff'. Once objects get some distance from the viewer, 2d print will appear 3d .. if the print has shadows etc.

Good points. Have you had success with water-transfer-film for an inkjet? I printed my decal, let it dry for 24 hrs, sprayed with Dulcote and let dry for 24. I cut about 1/32 back from printed color and they still blurred when applied. Re applied one 3 times and still not satisfied. Any thoughts from your experience?

I have an HP Business InkJet 2230. I print at the highest resolution and I choose presentation paper as the type of paper. It prints slowly but 2 point type (freight car dimensional data) comes out clean and readable. I print 8.5 X 11 sheets from MicroMark and only print when I have a full page. I let the ink dry an hour or 2 then spray with Krylon Flat and let that dry.

IowaFarmBoy - I've had good success up to the points that you make: its the application that is causing frustration. After applying, I use decal set and quickly blot the excess. An hour or so later, the blurring is visible. :(
Ed - sorry about a slight change of focus on your thread.

IowaFarmBoy - I've had good success up to the points that you make: its the application that is causing frustration. After applying, I use decal set and quickly blot the excess. An hour or so later, the blurring is visible. :(
Ed - sorry about a slight change of focus on your thread.

I had a focus?? :eek:

Biggest thing is that I proved to myself .. that at least under some circumstances, using photo paper will be a 'good thing'. I think mostly - objects that are not close enough or easily seen can make use of this technique.

I've been working on the steam pump (in Sketchup). I'm challenged (I think that is the right term) to see if I can make it .. darn this is SOOO small.

I've been researching old books to create my own design. I have it mostly done. Check this out .. the part circled in red. That's the pump body ..
pump2.png

I have read that when you have a complicated model .. that you need to reduce it to separate simple models. So .. that's what I am starting to do using the pump body to start with. DANG this is tiny.
pump2plan.png

I guess I need to start a thread on my C.P.R. Pump House .. since ultimately .. the boiler and this pump go into it .. AND .. I do have the base/joists mostly completed .. and .. the walls cut out .. I love this stuff! :)

DANG- that is tiny!!!! Just over an 1/8" on the sub-assembly? !!!
be sure to keep us posted if you change threads.

WOW that is going to be great if it dont drive you nuts first

Too late for that .. since I've been nuts for years. This is an excellent example of .. "if I had a laser" .. where it could slice the parts out fine. Oh well. I'm think of how best to make an attempt to do this. I'll keep ya posted .. as long as I'm not to nutty

Back