Excursion Trains

DakotaLove39

Always Improvising
Just have some questions about excursion trains.

Are streamliners more common cars to see than older heavyweight cars? I would imagine the age of heavyweights would make them rarer finds among private and museum ownership.

Secondly when you model your trains, do you match all cars to the same road name as the loco? I've not gone to see many excursion trains myself, but I have been watching a few youtube videos of SP4449 and Milwaukee Road 261, and both have very mismatched consists (although 261's consist typically has a majority of Milwaukee passenger cars).

Third question.. on longer runs across states, and even inter-state (Think 4449's trip to Michigan, or any steam excursion to Michigan for that matter..) Do the private groups operate dining cars for their passengers?

Just have some questions about excursion trains.

Are streamliners more common cars to see than older heavyweight cars?
They are used more on long distance excursion trains, if there is a choice.
I would imagine the age of heavyweights would make them rarer finds among private and museum ownership.
Not so much as you would think. Their age usually keeps them close to home, though.
Secondly when you model your trains, do you match all cars to the same road name as the loco?
Not, but I try to keep them from within a region, you wouldn't expect to see a Northern Pacific coach in a Norfolk Southern excursion in Virginia.
Third question.. on longer runs across states, and even inter-state (Think 4449's trip to Michigan, or any steam excursion to Michigan for that matter..) Do the private groups operate dining cars for their passengers?
That's usually how the local NRHS chapters generate revenue.

All my steam passenger trains are excursion trains. Some are actual prototype excursion trains, such as the UP 844. And some are not based on a prototype.

But this is my excuse to run steam on my modern layout.

Here is a list of excursion trains I have.

UP 844
SP GS-6 Daylight
C&O Allegheney Pere Marquette
Santa Fe Super Cheif
D&RGW Colorado Ski Train
EM-1 B&O Excursion

Not, but I try to keep them from within a region, you wouldn't expect to see a Northern Pacific coach in a Norfolk Southern excursion in Virginia.

Hm.. this is what I was thinking. I mean when you look at the trains 261 pulls, the majority are Milwaukee Road cars, but there's a sprinkling of Great Northern, Santa Fe and (I think) CB&Q, all of which have had trackage here in Minnesota.

The more confusing one is the large number of Milwaukee cars that appear on trains pulled by the 4449

Back