Enginehouse

suprduc

I am looking to add an enginehouse to my layout so I have been searching around for my options. I am looking for something that is in the modern era and have come across a few of them but am still open to more.

The two that I have found so far are from Pikestuff. One of them is the actual "Enginehouse" and is a two stall design. It is a 40x80 scale feet building with actual measurements at 5.5x11 inches. I also like the Walthers 3 stall kit from this thread. Looks to be much more detailed with walkways and pits and the ability to add an overhead crane.

2309353003_d1e5ff3978_o.jpg

The second one is called "The Shops" which is a three stall building and the stock picture is showing it as a shop area for rolling stock although I think that it would make a nice engine house too. This one measures out at 70x80 scale feet and actual measurements are 9 11/16 x 11 11x16 inches.

2309353005_f7988bd54a_o.jpg

Anyone have an opinion on any of these? Are there others that I should consider? :confused:

Rico - Your thread about the Walthers kit is actually why I included it in my choices. It looks like a pretty nice kit with quite a bit of detail which I like. Right now, I think that it may be a little overpowering on my layout but, trying to think down the road a bit, it may be what I am looking for so I am a little torn.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the pike stuff "The shops" kit, and one of the smaller, 20'x60' single stall engine house kits (plus a few other pike stuff). They're awesome kits, not well designed to model heavy maintenance shops, that do full rebuilds, but a normal, quarterly check-up type shop would be easily modeled with them. One thing you need to know about them, is that you have to cut out he openings for the doors, where the Walther's kit will be pre-cut.

D'oh! I didn't even see the link in that thread, look what happens when you skip coffee in the morning!
I have alot of Pikestuff kits as well, I like the way they lend themselves to massive kitbashing and mods.
Josh is right about the cutting, most pieces have cutting guidlines inside.
I think there is one Pikestuff kit called the Atchison Engine Facility or something along those lines. (?)

I thik the Pikestuff engine house is really more representative of a "modern" enginehouse then the Walthers kit, especially if you're modeing a shortline. It's not too big but still looks like soe work gets done there. The Walthers model has and older and much more industrial look to it.

You do have to cut the door openings but that's an advantage to me. You get to position the doors to be in the the way you want, from closed to fully open. It's much harder to to that with the Walthers kit. I'm currentty looking at getting one of their fire stations for a kitbash projects since my volunteers have long ago outgrown their single stall fire house. :)

Thanks for the input today everyone, much appreciated. :) I decided that the Pikestuff kit was going to go better with my layout and so I cut out a few pieces of cardboard for the outline of each of the buildings in question to help show how much space they would take up on my layout. The two stall and the three stall both looked okay and so I decided to go with the three stall building and made a trip to the LHS to get one ordered since they did not have one there. Should be here in a week or so. :cool:

Thanks again.

I figured it was time for a little update on the enginehouse. I went with a dark tan for the walls of the building and a dark gray for the roof and "framework". The doors, gutters, and downspouts will be a dark green and then I am planning to add a little bit of signage above each door. I would also like to use some styrene for the "concrete" floor and possibly a small parking area for autos. I have also been kicking around the idea of a pit in the third stall but, I fear that it would not be visible once the enginehouse is completed.

Here we have CN #2509, SCL #500, and CNW # 8267 (shell only) helping out with the pre-painting test fit...
2371726921_da21a18ca3_o.jpg

...and here we have the main sections of the enginehouse painted and almost ready for assembly.
2385446049_aaa55f41a3_o.jpg

Carl, looks good to me so far. If you have adequate lighting in the shops, you'd be surprised at how visible a pit is if you add handrails and some piping to the pit. I'd give it a try since it looks like you're on foam and making the pit wouldn't take a lot of effort. You definitely want to add styrene for a floor, appropriately weathered, since that will be a very visible part of the engine house. Since it looks like you're modeling modern era, you also need some black and yellow safety striping on both sides of each door to indicate close clearance.

Carl,
Did you by chance scan the walls and other parts before you built the building? I was interested in seeing the size of the walls to get an idea on the size for one I may build from scratch.
Dave

Try Rix Products website. Pikestuff and Rix Products are owned by the same guy. You can see everything they have. The directions on the kit bash kits can be a little confusing, but you can work through it. I have the smaller engine house on my Florida layout, but using it for something different.

www.rixproducts.com

Larry

Rail Builder,

I have ordered all my kitbashed buildings from them. I believe they are located in Indiana. I ordered two of the Motor Freight Terminal buildings (541-5001)and added them together end to end along with the smaller engine house (541-5000). Since I have a shelf layout, I'm not concerned with having a four sided building. One thing the Motor Freight Terminal is described as being 15" long. However, it is only 11". I will add a picture later this afternoon. I have also order their freight doors, roll up doors and entry doors for other projects as well as concrete steps and handrails. They have a decent selection of scratch built parts. The thing they don't have are pictures of a number of these parts. If you want to see all the pictures go to RIX Products or Pikestuff section in Walthers, copy the numbers and then order through RIX.

Larry

Railbuilder,

Here is a picture of the Motor Freight Terminal. I cut the doors where I want them

IMG_0024.jpg

Engine House,

This is what I did instead of an engine house, but it could be combined with an engine house. The bottom picture is of an open side service building I built from scratch.

Larry

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0010-1.jpg

Carl - cant wait to see ya get it all put together and in place!!

Dave ... thats some good building you've done.. definitely two thumbs up

Dave,

Very nice weathering and website. I like your chainlink fence. If you get a chance check out Lance Mindheim's "Voodoo & Palmettoes" layout and weather on his website. Check out the "News, Notes and Help" section. Lance is modeling Miami CSX, which the theme for my layout.

Larry

www.lancemindheim.com

Back